CHAPTER TWENTY-TWO: TEMPEST (2/6)

While Worm returned to the scrapyard to continue work on her robot, Captain Mack escorted Kas to the hangar where she was keen to have a look at her next ride. They didn't actually go in the hangar but observed it through a large monitor in the command centre.

The courier ship was two-thirds the size of the Calista. It had no weapons or armour and was the kind of ship Kas had seen a thousand times before and never given a second glance - which was exactly the point. When you're smuggling fugitives around different worlds, it helps to have a ship that doesn't stand out.

Even so, such a trip was very risky and it made sense to get the most out of each one. Kas waited while Mack liaised with those in charge of resources to see if there was anything they needed. She watched the monitor as a pair of engineers ventured into the hangar and began checking the ship for faults. Mack had asked them to triple check it, then check it again. The last thing they needed was to fly to Polo, only to be grounded for having a defective landing gear.

Kas didn't watch them for long before her gaze was drawn to the F-88 parked nearby. It looked even more beautiful than she'd remembered. She started thinking about her precious Calista and dreaded to think what state it was in at that very moment.

Swanne's probably torn it to pieces...

'All done,' Mack said from behind her.

'So how long?' she asked without taking her eyes from the F-88.

'Assuming those guys don't find any problems with the ship, we should be out of here in three to four hours. I want to get a good meal before we leave. Think you can wait that long or are you going to make a run for the doors?'

'I can wait.'

'Good.'

'Is it possible to talk to Astrid before we leave? I haven't talked to her since we arrived and I'd like to say goodbye.'

'I'm sure that will be fine. I know she'll want to say goodbye to you, too.'

Kas looked away from the F-88 and locked eyes with Captain Mack.

'Do you really think she can do it? Create a virus capable of infecting the Federation?'

'Honestly, I have no idea. But it's the only thing we can do.'

'If your plan backfires, you'll be putting the entire solar system at risk.'

'We won't do anything unless we're sure it will work.'

'There's no such thing as a perfect plan, Cap--'

'Captain Mack!' a voice interrupted. Kas and Mack turned to see a woman running towards them. She was only a few years older than Kas, no more than thirty. Her red hair was tied back in a short ponytail. She skidded to a halt in front of them. 'You can't go!' she panted.

'What do you mean?' Mack replied. 'Why not?'

'There's a storm incoming. It looks like a big one.'

'How big?'

'Doctor Stanler says it could be a four.'

'Four? Damn...'

'What kind of storm are you talking about?' Kas asked.

'A magnetic substorm,' Mack replied. 'Very violent. We fly a ship into that and there's a good chance it will fry our power and knock us out of the sky.'

Kas swore. 'Are you kidding me?'

'Hey, look on the bright side. It's better we find out now than when we're airborne. Even on a good day, you really don't want to crash land on this planet.'

Kas had to resist the temptation to punch something.

'Relax,' Mack added. 'Substorms usually don't last very long. We'll be out of here before you know it.'