Chapter 36 - Misunderstanding

When I head to the centre the next day I'm very nervous and sad. Things are not ending as I wanted but one can't control everything, right? I'm sad that Harry is leaving and that we're not talking. That everything is now ruined. I'm sad Niall is leaving just when we started to become close friends. I'm sad that my friendship with Mare is broken. I'm sad for so many things.

I even think it would be easier if I don't go to say goodbye to Niall, but I promised I would go. Even if it hurts to know Harry is also leaving. So I go and wait for the blond boy by the stables. I pet Ares and Persephone, his favourites. He told me yesterday more about Ella and how they used to go for a ride almost every day. I really love hearing about their time together. It sounds so cute.

"Hey there!" a voice says and I turn around to see a smiley Niall walking inside the stable.

"Hey there," I reply with a smile of my own.

He walks happily and gives me a hug once he's next to me. I accept his hug without a complaint, welcoming his proof of friendship.

"How are you feeling today?" he asks me patting my head lightly then focusing on Persephone.

"Sad, but I'll be all right," he turns around to look at me over his shoulder and I smile at him. "Ready to go?" I ask to change topics.

"Oh yeah, but I wanted to say goodbye to these precious ones," he says and I smile. "And to you, too." He turns around and smiles brightly at me. "Plus, I have great news and a goodbye present, Ari."

I raise my eyebrows in surprise. I wasn't expecting any of that. At all. So what could it be?

"I know you told me not to tell Harry, and I didn't tell him what you told me," he chuckles at how many times he uses that verb. "But you didn't tell me that I couldn't talk to Mare. So I did that."

"Why?" I ask immediately, confused.

"Because you didn't want to go with her. You have an amazing talent and you're a great songwriter, but you can't go with someone you don't want to be around anymore. So I went to talk to her last night and I offered to pay for whatever you had to pay to get free from that contract."

My eyes widen in shock and disbelief. It's not possible, Niall is laughing at me or something.

"Why would you do that?" I ask, utterly confused.

"Why not? You're a friend but overall, you're a good girl, Ari. You could've hurt my best mate but you didn't. You sacrificed yourself instead of hurting him and someone who does that doesn't deserve to be forced to do something she doesn't want to do."

I feel a lump in my throat as he explains. I can't believe he would do such a thing. I understand he has more money than what he can spend, but that doesn't mean he can go solving other's problems. Especially when we barely know each other. Yes, we're friends, but we're not that close.

"I-I can't let you do that, Niall. This is my-"

"Too late!" he laughs good-heartedly and I shake my head. "Plus, I didn't pay for anything."

And there he goes, confusing me again.

Niall smiles and turns around, walking up to me to then putting his hand on my shoulder. "Mare broke the contract, tore it apart in front of my eyes and I didn't have to pay quid," he tells me and I blink. "She told me she never really wanted you to do something bad to Harry, she said that because she was hurt that you didn't even give her the chance to explain things. That you just assumed the worst, like everybody else. Ari, she was just hurt because she lost you." Niall stops talking and is looking at me seriously this time as I feel tears welling up in my eyes. "Maybe you need to talk to her, Ari. It's not what you think. She was so sad, she was crying and I could tell she was really hurt. She's more upset because your friendship is over."