Chapter Twenty-Eight

We climbed in the truck and went to the town over, to get skates. Kane and I both got a pair, which he insisted on buying, and drove back to our town, past the diner. He drove past the small stores and pulled over into a parking lot by the woods.

It had been down the road, just a little bit, from where Charlie had come at us out of his truck. 'Ignore him, he's not worth your time.'

Kane opened my door and we walked to the bench by the ice. There was a family just heading out, so we were alone. 'Thank goodness, I'm going to be horrible.'

"It's nice to have it to ourselves."

"It is, no one will see me fall."

"You won't fall, I won't let you." He already had his skate's on and I refused his help tying mine up. He held up his hands in surrender and skated across the ice. He looked so calm and free skating across it. Like he didn't have a care in the world, it was the best sight ever.

"Show off," I called as he skated backwards in circles.

"You haven't seen anything yet."

He stepped it up, doing all kinds of things and I laughed as he just caught himself after skating backwards into a pile of twigs on the ice. I walked to the ice, and he met me on the side.

"Hold my arm." I did and we started skating. I was a little shaky but it came back to me pretty quickly. The pond was pretty big, and tucked away just inside the tree line, so there wasn't much wind.

He twirled me and dipped me as I laughed, "Why are you laughing?"

"I feel like a princess from the movies my sister used to watch."

"You are, you're my princess."

We twirled around some more and skated all over. I was still holding his arm. I felt free, more free than ever before.

"You look really happy, you have that contagious smile on your face."

"I am happy. I feel free, like a bird soaring in the air, only on ice, if that makes sense."

"It does, I feel the same."

"I can tell, you're face says it all."

"Oh right, my readable face."

"Yup." We were skating but it was almost like a dance, turning and gliding.

A while later, I heard voices and looked over. There were three younger children, about eight years old and what looked like their mom, coming across the snow, in boots carrying their skates.

"We aren't alone any more." He sounded sad.

"That's okay, we had our time."

He glanced at his watch, "Guess how long we've been skating."

"I don't know, max an hour."

"That's what I thought too."

"How long has it been?"

"It's been two and a half hours."

"Two and a half hours! No way!"

"Yep, no joke." He showed me his watch, he wasn't lying.

"It doesn't feel like it, whenever I'm with you time flies so fast."

"I know. Hours feel like minutes."

"I agree. How long do you want to stay?"

"As long as you want."

"Are you getting hungry?" I asked him.