Chapter Five

Chapter Five – Man Tantrums

"Luna, we're all out of food!" I hear Maddox yell as he assumed I was upstairs.

I clear my throat as I walk into the kitchen, making him jump and turn around to notice me. He grins widely before shutting the door of the refrigerator.

Eva snorts, her eyes not once leaving her laptop as she scrolls through Facebook. "Are we out of food or just your candy?"

"Why do you hate me?" Maddox wails dramatically making her lips quirk in amusement whilst I laugh.

"I don't hate you...I just judge your decisions like the supportive friend that I am." She teases, turning to smirk up at him.

"Whatever." He huffs in mock anger before grabbing two large grocery bags and walking over to me. He drapes his arm across my shoulders before guiding me out of the kitchen. "Luna and I are popping out to get some food, want anything?"

"Just a cake."

Maddox and I halt and turn to look at her in confusion. "A cake? What's the occasion?"

"...it's my third cousin's birthday." She mumbles, avoiding our stare.

"You only have two cousins and they're twins born in July...it's November." Maddox deadpans, arching a brow.

"My uncle had an affair and now we have a half-cousin." She shrugs, putting on her poker face as she stares right back at Maddox.

We all stare at each other for a few minutes before Maddox shakes his head. "I'm not even going to – which one do you want?"

"Chocolate obviously." She smiles wickedly, leaning back in her chair and propping her feet up on the chair beside her.

"And you say I have a problem." He mutters, pulling me to the front door.

"What?!"

"Love you!" He yells back before he slams the door shut.

***

I walk into the supermarket with Maddox following close behind pushing a shopping cart. Placing the grocery bags at one end of the cart, I pick a bouquet of white tulips and catch up to him, placing them by the bags. We walk into the first aisle and grab some of the vegetables and fruit we were out of, a corner of the shopping cart filling up already.

Next, I grab two packs of bread and burger buns whilst Maddox grabs our favourite cereals. We walk on and chat about what else we need and what we can do without since our budget is limited. Every week, the three of us contribute some money for the grocery shop so in total we can buy a lot of things rather than just a few things. We find that it works better that way after discovering that our taste preferences are near enough the same.

Maddox runs over and quickly grabs a pack of bacon, ham and chicken before putting them into the cart and following me. We make our way through the aisles and I make sure that our daily essentials such as milk, eggs and butter are restocked.

But then we reach the aisle that I was dreading.

The crisps and sweets aisle.

Maddox had let go of the cart and is currently having a field day trying to decide on which sweets to get. Whilst he is doing that, I pick up Eva and I's favourite pack of crisps. When we had first moved into the apartment, Eva and I found that we like the same ones so whenever one of us go grocery shopping we always buy extra for the other.