Chapter Forty-Three

Chapter Forty-Three – Waiting Game

I wake up to a stream of bright light filtering through the small window in the bricks of the cell. It confirms a new day. Sighing, I get up into a sitting position, groaning when my back aches from the stiffness of sleeping on the cement floor all night.

The cell is cold and damp, walls splattered with dried blood and gore. It's disgusting and I try not to look at it too long for fear of vomiting. I only have the clothes on my back to provide me with heat, my body working hard on not letting the biting cold affect me. But it does.

It's maddening being stuck in here, unable to move because of the heavy shackles bound to my wrists and ankles. I feel like I'm going crazy with how quiet it is and not being able to move around to stretch my sore limbs. There is dried blood on my skin where the metal has cut into it many times.

A few hours later, I hear the familiar, eerie moan of the door being opened. The sound of footsteps greets me just like they have been doing every morning and night. But this time, it's not a maid or a guard. It's him.

My kidnapper unlocks the door and steps in, dragging a wooden chair to the centre of the cell. He places the silver dish down and slides it towards me, but I make no move to eat. I see the anger in his eyes, brown orbs fading to black before he closes his eyes, inhaling deeply to reign his anger in.

"If you think I care about your wellbeing girl, I don't." He sneers, picking up the plate and throwing it against the wall.

I don't even flinch. He has done this every time he came in to meet me. I rest my head against the hard wall, the cold seeping into my bones. On the first day, I thought they would hurt me but that never came. Every little sound I hear throughout the day, I think someone is here to cause me pain.

Being stuck here is driving me insane.

It feels like a waiting game.

"Who are you?" I rasp, my voice dry because I have not drunk water since yesterday morning. Every day I ask him the same question but he denies me an answer.

He smirks, taking a seat on the chair and staring at me. It makes me uncomfortable but I don't let it show. "I'm your mates father."

My eyes widen in shock, heart racing as I fully take in the man before me. His eyes are brown but he has the same sharp and angular features as Kaden, his hair is jet black but not as unruly as my mates. I was so caught up in my situation that I didn't stop to wonder why this man kidnapped me.

"Reid." I breathe out, his deep chuckle bouncing off the cell walls. "Why are you doing this?"

"Because I want him dead." He snarls inhumanely, making me flinch at the loudness of it. "He found out what I wanted to achieve; to control every pack in Europe before moving on to the rest of the world. He is a weak excuse of an heir, too interested in the pack's wellbeing and making alliances instead of grabbing the opportunity to rule the world. He is a disappointment, like mother like son."

"He is a true Alpha, not a monster like you!" I spit angrily, hating the way he talked about my mate. "You killed your own mate, how could you?!"

Reid rolls his eyes, scoffing as he leans back in his chair. "Esme planned to rat me out to the Royals so, I killed her before she could."

"I hope Kaden kills you, you deserve to die for causing his mother and him pain." I shake my head in disbelief and anger, struggling to comprehend how evil this man is.