Chapter 12 | Part 2 - Tiberius

Song: "Hurricane" by Fleurie

----

Sprinting out of the library, Tiberius raised his nose up in the air and ran around the building, across the field and toward the cluster of trees that was too small to even be called a forest on the other side of a pond.

The werewolves working in the community garden and gathered around the pond stared at him as he passed by in a flash. Their attention was of no interest to him.

He needed to feel the wind through his fur and the adrenaline pumping through his veins. He'd been stationary for too long and the look in her eyes pushed him over the edge.

Crystal knew how he felt about her. He saw her eyes register it as her scent shifted.

But she didn't see it the same way.

Not that he expected her to feel the same way about him yet. That wasn't what set him off.

It was the fact that she didn't even love herself.

Worthless.

That was what she called herself.

In her world—her mind—she'd never be good enough for anyone. She would always see herself as a burden.

It broke him. Shattered his heart as he slammed himself against a tree trunk and collapsed to the earth as pain shot through his entire body.

Closing his eyes, he groaned, welcoming the familiar ache over the breaking of his heart.

How could she see herself as worthless when he needed her more than anything else in this world? She was his air and he would die without her.

How could she ever love him if she didn't even love herself? If she couldn't see the value of her existence?

Dragging himself into the shadows as his cracked ribs slowly healed, he cried for her. The amount of loneliness she suffered seeped into his bones like an infection. Sick with grief.

Not only that, but he saw himself in her from months ago. Drowning under the ice. Hopeless. Powerless. Unable to help pull himself free and breathe.

But this time, she had him. She wasn't alone like he had been.

He shook his head and reminded himself that he hadn't been entirely alone. The Goddess was with him, watching over him, enduring his struggle with him.

In the story of Narcissus, the boy hadn't seen his beauty until he gazed into the lake and saw his reflection.

Crystal couldn't see her own beauty, her own worth. He had to be the lake to help her see it.

And through her, he would be able to forgive himself for doing this to her.

He wouldn't let her drown.

He heard her coming before she called out to him. Her delicate scent mixed with worry wafted toward him.

"Tiberius?"

Lifting his head, he looked over his shoulder as she approached, glancing around her as every pair of eyes in the vicinity followed her. The book was clutched tightly in her hands in front of her, her black hair falling around her like a cloak.

Once she entered the shade of the trees, she took a deep breath and tucked her hair behind an ear.

"Are you okay?"

He huffed at her question and looked away, but kept an ear perked toward her.

"So, um, the librarian let me take a break... I don't have to hurry back. She said to take as much time as I need."