Chapter 14 - What a Coincidence

Tim was silent for a long time. It had been days since Phoenix visited Central Park, and since this was the first time that Tim, sounding genuinely concerned, asked how he was doing, Phoenix decided he owed him at least a sanitized version of what he'd been up to.

"Sounds like a great time," Tim said finally.

It was...very sanitized. The shady agent who asked about him turned into an old friend looking to catch up. The exchange became a late-night drive with new friends. The stone heist was a last-minute trip to Europe. He didn't mention his new siblings at all.

Prague was three days ago. The readjustment to his time zone and to a not mission-specific schedule was awful; on the first day back, he slept at two in the afternoon and woke up energized and bright-eyed at three in the morning. He came to the park today to take in the sunshine and fight off any leftover drowsiness.

"Phoenix?"

He straightened from petting Goldie and looked down the path. Tara was catching her breath by a tree, hands on her knees, and she waved. He waved back, thinking she only meant to say hello, but she started jogging toward him.

"A friend?" Tim asked.

"Yeah. See you soon, Tim."

Phoenix met Tara halfway. She took a deep breath, her forehead glistening with sweat. She'd clearly adjusted faster than he did—he wouldn't risk a run just yet. He was cleared by a League doctor upon landing, but he wanted some time to forget the shock and pain of falling with the destroyed walkway.

"Well, well, well," Tara said. "In the large expanse that is New York City, let alone Central Park, we somehow managed to run into each other."

"First my apartment and now here?" He shook his head. "I'm starting to think you're stalking me."

She laughed, and they walked together, sidestepping the presents the geese left on the ground. "How are you doing?" she asked.

"Fine. I finished my report."

Her eyes widened with pity. "She made you write a report?"

Phoenix nodded. He wasn't required to give an in-person debriefing like the others since he wasn't employed, but as a participant of the mission, he still had to write up a report of his actions and everything he witnessed. The moment he got off the plane, Hazel had emailed him a template and guidelines.

"I tried attaching it to my reply to the email she sent me, but it keeps bouncing," he said. "I think I'll go to headquarters tomorrow and hand her a physical copy."

Tara suddenly slowed for a moment. "Hazel isn't at headquarters."

"Oh. Then...I'll hand it to whoever's at the desk."

"No, ah..." she trailed off, clearing her throat. "Hazel's in Jethro. I'm actually going there tomorrow to visit my aunt, and I can drop you off. I have a plane to catch that night—I'm going to a wedding—so you'd have to get home yourself, but you'll be able to hand it directly to her."

Phoenix eyed her carefully. It was a generous offer, but there was some urgent undertone to it that he didn't understand. What was wrong with handing it to the desk?

"Okay," he said finally. "If you think that's best."

"Yeah," she murmured. "It's best."