Chapter 16 - Something to Show You

"Do you know him?"

It was the first thing Phoenix heard as he woke up. He cracked open one eye and looked around carefully. He was sitting in the backseat of a car, head against the window. His report was tucked neatly into the door pocket, and he was wearing the seatbelt. It was kind of them to do that, but he'd be happier if they hadn't kidnapped him at all.

It was the woman, Sofia, who'd spoken. She was driving, fingers tapping against the wheel. Walker was in the passenger side in front of Phoenix, and all Phoenix could see of him was that he was slumped low in the seat, his head below the headrest.

"Maybe," he responded. "I'm not sure."

Sofia shook her head. "Why did you bring the taser to the banquet?"

"It was a precaution."

"And what good did it do? You ended up using it on someone who wasn't attacking you. You could've asked to talk to him, why did you have to kidnap him?"

"He kept trying to leave!" Walker sighed. "And as for why..."

Phoenix waited, but the answer never came. Walker either fell asleep or decided to stop talking altogether. Sofia shook her head a second time and let the conversation die, so Phoenix sat up, rubbing the side of his neck. She caught his eye in the rearview mirror, but before she could react, he stuck out a hand and used his telekinesis to shove down the brake.

As gently as he tried to do it, he still did it fast, and the car lurched to a stop. Phoenix immediately undid the seatbelt, took his report, and got out of the car.

He realized with dismay that they'd come a long way. They were in the absolute outskirts of Jethro, away from the high-rises and even the low-rises. This road only had one lane per direction and was surrounded by grassy plains that stretched further than he could see. It was mostly dark, and there were no other cars.

Phoenix had no idea what they were going to do with him, and he was glad to not have to find out. He stuck to the side of the road and started walking toward the main city, its skyline glowing against the night. He heard the car doors open, but he didn't look back.

"Wait!" It was Walker.

Phoenix kept going. There were things to do. He had to pass on what Violet told him, and he had to call the Jethro police and report an attempted kidnapping, but before he did any of that, he just wanted to be safe at home.

"Phoenix, please," Walker said, his voice growing strained with every word. "I need to talk to you."

"We're sorry!" Sofia called out. Quietly, she added, "Mason. Let him go, you're freaking him out."

There was silence for a lovely few seconds, and then Walker asked, "Don't you want to know the truth?"

Phoenix froze. He turned around before he knew what he was doing. "What truth?"

Sofia glanced between him and Walker. She looked confused, and Phoenix was confused, too. He didn't understand why they put a seatbelt on him instead of restraining him or why neither of them were scared when he telekinetically pushed the brake. Jethro may be no stranger to strangeness, but being unfazed by seeing two superhumans in one day and then fearlessly confronting a telekinetic was disconcerting. There was something wrong with these two.

Walker stood by his door, hands on top of the car. He looked worse than he did in the alley, if that was possible. In the dim light the city cast on this faraway road, he seemed even more like a ghost.

"What truth?" Phoenix repeated.

Walker stared at him, expressionless. Eventually, he looked down at his feet. "I...can't," he said quietly. "I'm sorry for wasting your...time."