Chapter 42

"What do you mean in this house?" Said Sebastian.

"Wait, this address isn't here! Did you give me the wrong address?"

"This address - the one we're in - is... 4235 Pinewood Avenue East."

"No Sebastian, you gave me 1910 Diamond Star Drive."

That got my attention. I was about to scream out, but Jaycee beat me to it.

"That's Alexis's house!" He said, shoving his way next to McDaniels.

"What is he doing in my house?" I asked, confused.

"Well it's kind of natural. After they thought they got rid of you and your parents, the natural thing would be to return the sole heir back to his house, then wait for him to reclaim his wealth, split it three ways, then each would disappear." Said Officer McDaniels.

But I was focused on something entirely different than what he just said.

"You said got rid of my parents? But... but you told me that they're in New York..." I trailed, my throat constricting. Why am I feeling rocks piled up in my stomach.

"What? New York? Who the-" started McDaniels.

"Yes!! New York!! Right! Right! New York." Interrupted Sebastian. He awkwardly chuckled as he scratched his neck.

"You didn't tell her?!" Whispered Jaycee.

What were they talking about?!

Tell me what?!

"Tell? Tell me what?!" I asked, getting scared by the second.

"Nothing Alexis. Nothing is wrong! Come with me." Said Jaycee, putting his hands on my arm; trying to make me forget.

"No! Jaycee get away from me! Don't touch me! What are you not telling me?" I could see everyone look at each other with confused looks. Everyone except four people. Two of them being my best friends.

"Alexis..." started Brenda, but Jaycee raised his hand in front of her and she stopped talking.

"Alexis. Baby, please, please just follow me. Please. I'll tell you whatever you need to know. Please." He said, his eyes softer than they were three seconds ago.

I just nodded my head and went with him back to the foyer where we spoke just a few hours ago.

I didn't feel like talking right now because I feel betrayed and hurt.

Is that why no one would answer my questions about them? Why they keep brushing it off like it's nothing?

I was in no mood to speak at the moment, so I didn't open my mouth and neither did Jaycee.

We both sat on the swing and just silently sat there staring at the stars, the evening breeze a little chilly.

"Lexi. Do you trust me?" He said out of nowhere, stroking my knuckles gently.

"Of course I do Jay." I said, not being able to look at him for some reason.

"Then trust me when I tell you that everything is fine. There's...nothing for you to worry about sweetheart." He said, sounding unsure of himself.

"Nothing in my life is ever ok! I don't know where my parents are! I don't know where my brother is! Both my uncles are out to get me! Tell me what part of that is even classified as ok?!" I cried, taking out my frustration on him.

He tried to say something but I cut him off before he could form a coherent word.

"You don't know what it's like to feel so alone even though you're surrounded by lots of people! To having to look behind your back wherever you go! To close your eyes, and not know whether you'll be up in the morning or not! You don't know how any of that feels! You don't! But I do because this has been my life for the past few months! Running from my own shadow! And from one loophole to another..." I trailed off, my breath hitched in my throat.