Jim Hopper

"What is it, sweety?" Your mom asks sweetly.

You stare at your parents who are sitting across from you. Your heart is pounding and you're terrified. What if they hate you? What if they kick you out?

"I..." You pause, taking a deep breath. "I'm... I'm transgender. I'm a boy." You whisper, you wanted to say it with more confidence but you could only manage a weak whisper.

"You're what?" Your father sounded disgusted.

"I'm not a girl. I'm a b-boy." You say a bit louder looking up at your father.

"That's ridiculous, (D/n)." Your mom waves you off.

"No, I don't feel like a girl. I'm a boy, I know it. And I want to change my name to (Y/n)." You shake your head trying to explain it.

"No. I will not have my daughter choosing to be  some dyke transvestite." Your dad says sternly, you can tell he's angry.

"It's not a choice, I didn't just wake up and choose to be like this. It's just how I feel. I feel so wrong as a girl, like it's not me. I... I feel right as a boy, like I was supposed to be born as a boy." You raise your voice a bit, getting more upset.

"You weren't born in the wrong body, god made you a girl and god doesn't make mistakes!" Your father practically yells at you. You quickly run for the door, you can't stay here.

"Get back here, (B/n)!" Your mom yells as you run down the block as fast as you can.

You run and run until you get to the forest. There's this small clearing, with a tree trunk that makes a nice bench, just inside the forest walls. It's always so peaceful here, it's just far enough out of view so that you can be alone. You sit on the tree trunk bringing your knees up to your chest. With your head in your knees, you let yourself cry.

You knew it was a bad idea. You knew they wouldn't accept you. Why are you so fucking stupid? Why did you think they'd actually love you enough to love you regardless of what your gender is? You hear a twig snap and instantly jump, a sob dying in your throat.

"Hey, it's okay kid, just me." Chief Hopper says walking into view.

"Leave me alone." You mumble wiping your tears away.

"You know I can't do that, kid. Your parents are worried, ya know." He sits down next to you on the makeshift bench. You look away as more tears slip down your cheeks. You really hate crying in front of people.

"Want to tell me what happened?" He asks softly.

"I'm sure they already told you..." You whisper.

"Actually, they just said you guys got into a fight then you ran away. What happened? Why did you run off?" His voice is so comforting, like a caring dad.

"I told them I'm a boy... They didn't like that..." A sob escapes your throat.

"I'm sorry, kid, come here." He pulls you into a comforting hug.

"I can't be the girl they want, I tried. I just, I can't, I'm not a girl. And now they hate me..." You cry into his chest.

"They don't hate you, they just don't understand." He pulls back from the hug, wiping a few of your tears away. "I'll talk to them, but I can't promise everything will be perfect right away. You're going to have to give them time to adjust."

"Thank you, Chief Hopper." You hiccup, wiping the rest of your tears away.

"Of course. Now, let's get you home, son." Your heart skips a beat, that's the first time someone actually referred to you as a boy.

You didn't doubt before that this was a phase or something, but hearing Chief Hopper call you 'son' made you two hundred percent sure you were meant to be a boy. You just nod as he leads you to the police car. The drive back to your house was silent. Once at your house you went straight to your room closing the door wanting to be alone.

"Thank you for bringing her home." You hear your mother thank the police Chief.

"Of course, Mrs. (L/n)." He pauses for a moment, "You need to accept him." You hear Chief Hopper tell your parents. You open your door a crack listening in.

"Her." Your dad corrected him.

"Him." Chief Hopper insisted, making you smile. "If you don't accept him, you're going to push him away. You'll lose him. Don't let that happen. He's a good kid, try to accept your son before it's too late." You smile, closing your door quietly before laying in bed.

Chief Hopper is a good guy, and he'd be an amazing dad. For a moment you wonder if he has children, he doesn't have any your age or you'd know them. You hope your parents listen to him.