Prologue: This Must Be The Place

Welcome to the 2nd Gen!

Talking Heads – This Must Be The Place. 

Swipe to the right and you'll see (from left tor right) Mia, Anna and Nina.

_____________________________

The City that Care Forgot.

I always wondered what that meant. New Orleans had many names: The Big Easy and The Crescent City being two notable ones. I knew what those represented. But I couldn't count how many times I'd try to connect that name to the city. One very popular answer that even my father agreed with was that it was a carefree however neglected city.

From the stories he'd told me of the many places he'd visited in his life, New Orleans had stuck with me. The music, the food, the culture, it was all so... exciting. And as I glanced around this popular bar in the French Quarter it was exactly where I wanted to be. It was the start to the next part of my life.

"What about him?"

I directed my satisfied smile to my best friend and sister from my mom's-best friend's-mister. Correction, it was the start of the next part of our lives.

Amelia Harris curled her smile upward as she leaned closer to my ear. "Come on, Anna, you always do this."

"Because I keep that part of my life private, Mia." I replied a little louder so she could hear me over the music.

"This is a new city, with new people, new faces, you have to entertain me a little bit. What about in med-school? Anyone? Please?"

I had to laugh. "Mia."

After three years at Stanford studying pre-med, taking my MCAT's last year and passing, I got offered a spot to study my masters in healthcare at University of NO. Mia on the other hand is studying her masters in music. She grabbed that talent from her father, lucky for her. I wasn't all too sure what it was Mia wanted to do after graduation but I assumed she wanted to write music rather than perform. And by write, I mean compose.

The girl was beyond talented; it was almost impossible to find a flaw whenever she played something new or something old. Well, even if there was a flaw I wouldn't be able to tell. I knew next to squat about classical music anyway.

I smiled at the wide-eyed brunette and leaned back. "What about you, hm? What's tickling your fancy tonight?"

Mia smirked shyly and shook her head. "You can't ask me that."

"Yes I can, you ask me enough, what about... what about-"

"Nope." Mia shook her head grabbed her pint glass. "You're not going to trick me so you can tell on me."

"I won't tell your glorious other half if you don't." I winked jokingly. The door at the back of the room opened and, as usual when Nina Walker walked in, men's pupils dilated in attraction, they stepped to the side to let her through to gladly watch her walk away.

But the gorgeous, 5'8, chest-nut skinned woman only had eyes for one person.

"Nina's here," I smirked. "Should have answered while you could."

"Answered what?" She purred, her pearly whites would stop the heart of any wayward soul. She slid in beside Mia, her golden eyes softening toward her before pressing a kiss to her cheek.

Nina was the sweetest thing, two years older than us at twenty-six – well, inwardly twenty-six anyway. They'd been together for almost five years now; they'd met during our second year at Stanford. Nina was adjusting to a new lifestyle and Mia had caught her before she fell into the shadows. Their story was sweet, to the point. And they've been happily in love ever since.