2: The Comedown

The Comedown – Rainbow Kitten Surprise

________________________________

Vlad led me with a firm hand on my shoulder toward a booth in the back. Most of the patrons were previous Mardi Gras goers, their head in one hand, a cup of water or coffee in the other. These guys clearly went too hard too early, it was barely 9pm.

I slid in on one side and watched him walk over to the counter. It always surprised me when I watched other people interact with him. The boy at the counter took a small step back as Vlad spoke, his shoulder's tensing when he finished speaking his order. He handed over two bottles of water and a coffee cup on a tray and gingerly took the money from Vlad's outstretched hand.

I snorted at the look on his face when he walked away. Honestly, Vlad could look scary when he wanted to but come on. Man up a bit.

Before sitting, he shrugged his denim jacket off, his tan arms covered in a sprinkle of dark fine hairs. Another good thing about him, his physique. He wasn't overtly thick in muscle, neither was he lean. He was the perfect balance in between. My wildest thoughts could only imagine what his chest and stomach looked like... and what hidden wonders lay-

I jumped slightly when the edge of the mug knocked my knuckles. I frowned into the dark mug and blinked up at him. "You didn't even ask me if I drank black coffee."

"I know you do." He retorted, opening the cap to one of the water bottles.

I narrowed my gaze. Now, how would he know that?

Clearly seeing the question on my face, he replied with, "In Bali, you had one every morning."

I easily masked my surprise as I poured a bit of sugar into my mug. On our family vacation four years ago – the last time I saw Vlad – I'd barely even seen him. Maybe a pass on the beach, a smile in the kitchen, a 'pass the wine' at dinner, but never long enough for him to realise I had a black coffee with my breakfast near enough every morning.

Maybe it was the smell, I thought as I took a tentative first sip.

Slowly, I halved my coffee and not one word was uttered between us. He looked everywhere but directly at me. One large hand continuously twisted the bottle cap tighter and then loose before he completely abandoned it altogether and curled his hands into two relaxed fists in front of him.

His eyes lifted to meet mine, his eyebrows lowering over his deep brown eyes in a frown before he said, "Are you a little more sober?"

"A little." I replied, the headache settling in between my eyes. "You're a spoil sport."

"You were alone." He countered not even a sparkle of humour to his eye.

"I can take very good care of myself, thank you. And I had been until I caught sight of you." I murmured the last part more to myself but he heard me and looked right into my soul.

Finally a small spark as the corner of his mouth twitched upward. "Did I catch you off guard?"

"A little." I repeated watching the curve lift higher only to drop again. God dammit, Vlad just give me a smile. Just a glimpse more of your humour or teasing and I'll be set for another four years.

His thumbs massaged the top of his index fingers as he cleared his throat. "Why are you in New Orleans, Anna."

Straight to business then? "I go to college here. I'm in my twenties now by the way, twenty-four to be exact." I finished my coffee and pushed it to the side.

Clearly, he wasn't amused with my answer because his jaw ticked. "Your aunt said you went to Stanford."

"Well, that just shows how long it's been since you last spoke to any of us. I graduated last year, I'm at med school here."