5 Things Grateful for About Science Fiction

If you ask people what they appreciate the most, I assume you'll get a lot of answers such as God (if they're religious), family and friends. For me, that also is true, but in this case, I decided to make a list of five things related to science fiction that I'm grateful for.

Here is what I'm grateful for about science fiction (in no particular order):

1. The Golden Age of Science Fiction, an era from the late '30s to '50s that saw great works from Isaac Asimov, Robert A. Heinlein, Poul Anderson, Ray Bradbury, Arthur C. Clarke, Hal Clement, and others.

2. 20th Century Fox for taking a chance on George Lucas' Star Wars film and for giving Lucas the film's marketing rights, which he sure took advantage of to make the Star Wars franchise a huge success.

3. Shōji Kawamori, who created the story for the anime The Super Dimension Fortress Macross, which later was used with Super Dimension Cavalry Southern Cross and Genesis Climber Mospeada to create Robotech, one of the first shows to introduce anime to the U.S. and spur American interest in it.

4. The creation of hyperspace travel for science fiction, because if there was no faster-than-light travel, than there wouldn't be much interstellar travel.

5. Mystery Science Theater 3000, because if you can make science fiction fans laugh at films in that genre, then it truly doesn't matter how character Mike Nelson "eats and breaths and other science facts."

What are you grateful for?