Wrong Number

This is the first time that Avni has left her mother and travelled in like forever, in fact she has never travelled without her Neela ma. They have always been together from the moment they both left India to settle in UK. Her mother has been feeling anxious about her coming to another country alone, she used all the techniques she could use to convince Avni, to change school and study from home but Avni refused, after so many discussions and requests her mother finally let her go. Avni was so embarrassed with the scene her mother created today at the airport when she was about to board her plane, she was crying among many other things, it was with great difficulties that Avni managed to get her mother to keep quiet and stop crying after promising to call her every hour.

When Avni arrived at her destination, she checked for her phone in her bag but she couldn't find it, it seems like she had forgotten her phone at home. After getting a new phone at one of the shops In the airport, she put in the number she had memorized as her mothers and tried calling her mother but the line was engaged, deciding to try again later, she went straight to her school to settle down and when she was done settling down in her room, she decided to call her mother again without really checking the time, she dialed her mother's number, but she was not picking the call. Avni dialed the number the second time, but her mother was still not picking the call.

Avni - why is maa not picking the phone?

She muttered with a frown on her face, Avni decided to dial the number for the last time and fortunately, this time the call was receiver.

Avni - hello maa?

Avni said into the phone, but the other side was silent.

Avni - hello? Maa are you there?

Avni said again. There was still no reply from the other side. Just when Avni was about to say something again, came a gruff husky and definitely not her mother's voice from the other side of the call. The voice said

"Wrong number"

And hung up the phone but not before saying

"Idiots".

Avni sat on her bed with a shocked expression on her face, how you can just insult people just because they dialed your number by mistake. She just kept quiet, sitting on her bed, saying nothing, moving her phone from one hand to the other, running the word "idiots" in her head over and over.

The more she thought about it, the more hurt and angry she got. She thought of doing many things in her head, including calling that 'rude idiot' as she dubbed him in her head, and putting him in his place. "You can't just call someone an idiot just because they dialed your number by mistake, it is uncalled for and very inappropriate" she argued in her head.

After so much thinking, she finally decide to send the person a text message because she can't, wont and refuse to let this go without letting the other person know her stand and how she felt about the whole "idiot" thing. So she wrote

"I don't really appreciate being called an idiot.

Just thought to let you know"

After reading the message almost ten times, deleting and typing again and again, and by the time it was almost 1am, she finally sent it to him the text message.

After sending the text, she decide to wait and see if he is going to reply to her text now, but then decide to leave it because it definitely seems unlikely that he would reply to her now or ever at all, she decided to call it a night.

Switching her phone off, she kept it under her pillow and slept.