CHAPTER EIGHTEEN

Come to the meeting room in twenty minutes

Come to the meeting room in twenty minutes. There are some people I want you to meet.

-Phoenix

I stared down at the note, half-tempted to crumple it in my fist. Meeting people had never been a skill of mine; meeting people with little to no notice was my biggest nightmare. Hunting a werewolf? No problem. Handling knives? Life's a breeze.

Making small talk with strangers? Not my forte.

I huffed and dragged myself, albeit rather reluctantly, towards the wardrobe. His note left no room for gracefully backing out. I did agree to be the Luna, after all; I couldn't hide in my room all day, no matter how much I might've wanted to.

I opted to wear a pair of jeans and a flowy white blouse. Comfortable—perhaps even casual—but easy to move in. I ran my hands through my hair and deemed myself presentable.

As I left the room, hands sliding over the smooth walls, my thoughts turned to who exactly I was meeting with. It couldn't be the pack—he'd have given me more than twenty minutes notice if that was the case. Waves of anxiety roiled in my stomach. Perhaps I was to acquaint myself with more elders? Or perhaps his family? I couldn't be sure.

"Hello, Isa."

I whirled around, a shriek catching in my throat. Phoenix stood before me, hands clasped behind him, eyes twinkling. I gritted my teeth. Control your anger, Isa. I told myself. Don't allow your emotions to dictate you.

So, with great hesitation, I schooled my features into a polite smile. He raised an eyebrow, blue eyes searching mine, nostrils flaring slightly at my scent.

"Who am I meeting?" I asked, my words clipped, my voice crisp and professional.

The mischievous glint to his eyes only brightened he took note of my tone. "You're to be Luna. I only thought it right that you meet my Circle before I introduce you to our pack."

"Your Circle?" I asked, confused.

"Yes. A group of six, high-ranking pack members who I trust with my life." he explained.

I processed his words. "Who are the six people?"

"You'll meet them soon enough." he smiled, before his eyes flickered up. "In fact, you'll meet them right now."

I turned.

And there, practically flooding the doorway with their shadows, stood two smirking men.

Oh, shit.