Chapter Seven-Scholarly Distractions

Cerise had started school again with delayed enthusiasm. As an excellent scholar with a passion for learning, Cerise had always counted down the days until the first day of school rolled around again. For this reason, she couldn't figure out why it was with a heavy heart she returned--that is, until it was time to leave.

Her uniform was neatly pressed and meticulously clean; her long, wavy hair was restrained in a braid and her licorice shoes were shined. In all her scholarly glory in all her blank-faced tranquility; her insides shattered when she hugged Harry goodbye for the day.

"Be good," he murmured in her ear. His lips lightly pressed against her cheek--causing them to blush violently-- before he winked and smirked at her.

She gave a curt nod and stammered a goodbye before she fled the room.

The ride home was filled with thoughts of him. His morning hair; unkempt wild and boyish; his clear, playful eyes and his brooding, expressive mouth. All of this and more plagued her thoughts incessantly. She wanted to see him--no, yearned to see him.

She ran up the stairs and burst through the door, her heart all but exploding when she laid eyes on him.

He sat docilely on the stairs, his hand cupping his chin and his roaming eyes cloudy. He stood as soon as he saw her and smiled. It was all she could do to not run up to him and collapse in his arms. She instead grinned larger than she ever had in her entire life and wrapped her arms around him; inhaling him; brushing against his polo with her lips; nestling her head against the steady thump of his heart. He enveloped her and rested his chin lightly on the top of her head, breathing in the strawberry scent of her hair.

She sighed happily before looking up at him. He, too, was smiling down at her, eyes alight with satisfaction.

"I have bad news." she croaked suddenly, her mouth dropping the smile.

"What?" Harry asked, seemingly unconcerned though he wondered if he should be.

She began to pout as she let go of him, remembering with a heavy heart hostly decorum. 

"I'm hosting a sleepover this Friday night for a few of my friends," she began forlornly.

"So?" Harry remarked, eyebrows slightly knitted in confusion.

"So, they can't know you're here, remember? I'll try and keep them in my room, but you'll have to stay in the guest room again." She sighed and looked up at him imploringly. "I'm sorry, Harry. They wouldn't take no for an answer, and--"

He pouted playfully. "So does that mean we can't sleep together in your room?"

She laughed and took hold of his arm as he escorted her up the stairs. "Unfortunately so, Harry," she replied. "Unfortunately so."