Chapter 10

Chapter 10: Teacher's Pet

"Did you get the study guide from Mrs. Hersh yesterday?" I heard Nick ask me from his seat across the table. I reached for my binder and dug through my papers for a moment before coming up with the thick packet.

"Here you go, Mrs. Hersh's 500lb packet of doom." I said robotically, imatating the saleswomen I saw on TV. Nick chuckled and as he took the packet pretended to struggle getting it until his lap.

"Oh wow, this is 500lb." Nick gasped, his eyes going wide as he pretended to look shocked. The both of us laughed, struggling to keep the chuckles down since we were in the library.

"You really go all out for a joke huh Nick." I sighed once we had once stopped laughing. Nick looked confused and I wondered why.

"What do you mean 'go all out for a joke?" He asked me, flipping through the pages of the study guide with his eyes to the book now.

"You pretended to find the book heavy right?" I asked unable to believe that he really struggled with it.

"No," He frowned, still flipping through the pages for what he was looking for. "This book is damn heavy. I had to concentrate a bit for it."

My mouth opened in shock and Nick was about to ask why I was making that face but instead I just started laughing again.

Nick and I were in the school library to get some well needed studying. We would've done it in our room but having a desk to lay out your stuff and hold your computer compared to your bed is much better. And Warlo was blasting his music, though all three of us can enjoy some Kpop two of us can't study with it.

Things like this were pretty normal for me after going to my classes for a few weeks. I am feeling comfortable at this school and the new student jitters have all but vanished. My relationships with the people around me are not that different from how they were when I first arrived. I had gotten closer to my brother and sister and we all got along even better than we did when we all still lived together, especially my brother, Orlando, and I. My sister and I had stayed somewhat close after she started coming to Calfuray Academy by talking online and through our mind link constantly, but I had never felt comfortable enough with my brother to do the same. But now that we had the school to further bond over I could see that conversations now came easily to the two of us.

Sam has also started to become a large part of my life and I am glad to have a best friend so soon; The rest of my friends, unsurprisingly, are primarily the four guys that I first met. Harvey, Thulani, Nick, and Warlo.

Though talking to the four of them at once sometimes is an awkward affair we all seemed to get along just fine. Warlo and Harvey became surprisingly close even though they constantly bickered, but Warlo seemed to find himself in a discussion or argument with just about anyone and it is borderline magical how you can suddenly find yourself arguing against him over pickles. I actually had a discussion with Warlo over male rompers and by the end of it I realized that I didn't know what they were.  But the real problem I had here was him.

I know I should have gotten over him or at least gotten some information, but our "relationship' was almost exactly the same as it was the first time I tried to see him. He now talked a little bit more about his childhood and asked me to talk a lot more about myself so our talks we're now conversations. Yet there still seemed to be no chance of me seeing who he was. At least with his permission. And to make it even worse he had started touching me. Running his fingers along my scalp, his hands up and down my arms, even completely pulling me against his chest and hugging me. I felt like I was being slowly torched and my tormentor had no idea of the pain that he inflicted.