Chapter One

Hermione Granger, a sixth year in Gryffindor at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry, was slightly obsessed with studying and reading books, you could say. Granted, being that way had made her top of the entire sixth year class, but still, most students admitted she sometimes went overboard, devoting most of her time to pouring over books and stuffing her already overflowing brain with even more, seemingly useless, knowledge.

That was why, at that moment, Hermione was sitting inside the library of the school on a beautiful fall day at the beginning of the year. Every other student (and even some teachers) had gone outside to enjoy the weather, especially since it was a Saturday and there was no classes to attend. Harry Potter and Ron Weasley, Hermione's two best friends, had begged and pleaded with her for over an hour to 'get her nose out of those musty, old books and enjoy some actual fresh air,' as Ron had so nicely put it. Hermione had stubbornly refused though, claiming her essay in History of Magic was too important to just let sit, she must complete it by today, even though it wasn't due for another week.

So, that is where our story starts, with Miss Granger, sitting in the middle of hundreds of shelves of old and crumbling books in the stuffy and musty smelling library. She was seated at a round table in the farthest and darkest corner, towering stacks of books surrounding her and hiding her from view. A sheet of parchment - half filled, her ink bottle, and her quill lay on the table in front of her, utterly forgotten as Hermione, once again, immersed herself completely into the text of the thick book in her lap.

Hermione found her History of Magic essay to be most intriguing, unlike most things that took place in that class. The topic for this essay happened to be 'The History Surrounding the Four Founders of Hogwarts.' Hogwarts' history had always fascinated Hermione so she was more than willing to look up even more on the distinguished school.

Hermione twirled a lock of her curly brown hair around her finger while flipping over a page of the book. Over the years, she had turned out to become quite an attractive sixteen year old girl. Her brown locks, which used to be bushy and uncontrollable, had tamed out and turned into soft curls that reached the middle of her back. Her shape had filled out more to show many curves that most girls envied and guys drooled over but they always seemed to be hidden beneath her robes. She had grown a couple inches as well, making her stand at a height of about five foot five. The only thing that hadn't changed on her was her cinnamon brown eyes, which still glowed brightly as ever. Surprisingly, Hermione still didn't have a boyfriend, though many guys had asked her out, including Ron, but she turned them all down, saying she didn't have time for such nonsense. Fortunately, her and Ron were still friends and he had gotten over his crush a year ago and was happily dating Lavender Brown for a few months now.

See, the truth behind Hermione's actions of turning every boy down wasn't because she was too into her books and studying. No, it was simply that she was waiting for the guy she had liked for about a year now to walk up to her one day and admit he liked her as much as she liked him and ask her out. No such luck though, because the guy Hermione liked, was none other then her other best friend, Harry Potter. What every other guy at Hogwarts was seeing in Hermione, Harry seemed to be turning a blind eye to and treated her the same way he always did. She was nothing more than his book-wormish, overly-smart, best friend.

Hermione didn't know what it was but the moment she spotted Harry at Platform 9 and 3/4 at the beginning of fifth year she had stopped dead in her tracks, shocked at how much he had changed over the summer, and liking it. He had grown taller, almost 6 feet, and he had filled out a lot, no longer skinny and scrawny but toned and muscular. This past summer had done nothing but improve him and Hermione found herself stealing glances at Harry whenever she could and blushing furiously whenever he caught her. He was still the same Harry though, sweet, shy, and loving best friend, with his unruly jet black hair and his bright emerald green eyes that made her melt every time.