bloodhound

As Erich, Adalicia, and Heinrich walked up to the large steel gates, the Lord's dogs stood at attention, their crimson eyes darting between the three in synchrony.

Adalicia backed away in fear. She hated dogs 400 years ago and she hated them even more now that she was blind. She could smell their thirst for blood, and the low snarles that built as they got closer didn't change her mind about her feelings either.

Erich rubbed Adalicia's shoulder with a reassuring smirk. He stepped forward, crouching down to the middle Doberman. She looked him in the eye, not breaking glance as he reached in his pocket for biscuits.

"Atticus, is that you, Old boy?" Atticus whimpered, lowering his ears in response. "That's it, now you, Dominic and Dante give Erich a big hug!" Erich reached his arms wide and each dog took turns licking his face, panting and whining excitedly.

Adalicia looked Heinrich's direction, and he merely shrugged back at her.

Erich tossed the dogs their biscuits, leaving them to retreat to their individual corners for their snack. Dusting himself off with a smile, he reached for Adalicia's hand as he walked through the gates. "See, even centuries won't change a man's best friend."

Adalicia said nothing but stick closer to Erich as they passed through, wrapping her makeup bag extra tight to her chest. "I didn't know you liked dogs." She stated, her eyes focused downwards to the ground.

"I love them, actually. Do you remember the little puppy we found who died from sickness, I was tore up for weeks. I had a dog once for myself, when I was a small boy. He died the exact same way, and I guess.. I just chose to love other's dogs instead of having one for myself." Erich scratched his chin, the subject growing uncomfortable for him.

Adalicia didn't egg him on, she could sense him tense and just hummed in response. "Well, I've always been a bunny person."

"A bunny?" That surely caught him off guard.

"Yeah, they're hard to hate, don't cause trouble, and fuck like mad."

Erich and Adalicia both joined in laughter, even Heinrich chuckling under his breath at her comments.

He began to think that Erich was more than a caretaker to the girl. And as he watched the two laugh together, he saw how easily Erich glanced back to Heinrich and jolted his head forehead to pretend nothing happened.

Odd.

Erich took a breath, helping Adalicia up the stairs one by one. Her pastel pink hair swayed in the breeze, with Erich's freshly trimmed but still messy white hair dancing to its own rhythm. He smoothed it back, looking down at Adalicia one last time as if his eyes spoke a sullen goodbye that wouldn't leave his mouth.

"We're here." He said dryly. "After this, Adalicia," Erich breathed "I will no longer be your caretaker. You will be handed over to The Lord's servants and they will take to all your needs," each word grew heavier and heavier.

"All of them?" Adalicia interjected, her innocent giggling ringing in Erich's ears almost as if it were miles away

"No, not all-" he chuckled, but Adalicia looked up his direction with a blatant sadness, Erich took everything in him not to hold her close, "But The Lord will see to it that everything you so desired is in your hands, as it is... as it will-".

"Brother!" the castle doors flew open! In the doorway stood a taller gentleman, skin equally muted but with golden eyes, grey hair tied in a bun, and an equally grey beard that seemed to be freshly trimmed.

Adalicia peeped, jumping back only to be caught by Heinrich's stomach.

"Oh, Brother!" the stranger wrapped himself around Erich, picking him up and whirling him around in a bear hug. His laugher bellowing along the trees.'

"Ah- Ulises-" Erich winced at his unnecessary strength "Its so- nice- to see- dammit, brother put me down!" Ulises returned his request with laughter, putting him down and patting his shoulder with a smile; his fangs pearly and sharp. "Its been so long, Brother. Its so nice to see you, Father would have loved to see you. And so handsome too, why, when you left here you were nothing but a scrawny virgin. Now look at you, still a bit slim, but I'm assuming the lady by your side is the reason you're not a virgin? Eh?" Ulises jutted Erich in his side, making him wince uncomfortably.

"Actually, if you must know," Erich rubbed his shoulder, holding his hand out to Adalicia as she merely covered her mouth from smiling. "This is Big Brother's soon-to-be wife, Adalicia."

"Ooooh," Ulises scratched his beard in embarrassment "My apologies, My Lady," Ulises bowed before Adalicia, holding her hand in his with a smirk. "Ulises, youngest brother of the Wolff brothers." He kissed her hand, leaving Adalicia to giggle sheepishly at his gestures.

Erich rolled his eyes with a scoff. "Where is brother? And can we come in? Its getting dark." He really just wanted to get all these meet and greets over with; it was wearing on his patience.

"Oh, yes, everyone is waiting for you, I just couldn't stand the idle chit-chat at the table and then you came! Come, come now, come!" Erich practically yanked Erich inside by the wrist. He was getting pretty fed up with Ulises and his inability to control his strength. With a suck of his teeth, Erich returned his pull with his own, twisting his wrist the opposite direction.

"That - is - quite - enough - Ulises." Erich released his hold on his brother after a few seconds, leaving him to cradle his wrist in agony. "The lady, if you cant notice already, needs assistance getting around the castle. I've spent my whole life to the castle, I don't need you to guide me." Erich huffed to himself , holding Adalicia's hand to signal they're about to move. "Come, My Lady."

Adalicia handed Heinrich her makeup bag and merely stepped over Ulises, Heinrich staying behind to assist him. When they were out of sight and hearing range, Adalicia looked around, trying to make out the shadows before her. "Are we alone?"

Erich, holding her hand gently, nodded to confirm. "We are. The dining hall is sealed, and I.. wanted to take the scenic route." It was a lie, he just wanted to spend a little more time with her.

"Hm, well," Adalicia pondered for a second before the light bulb went off in her head "Let me see your old room." She requested.

"What?" Erich almost thought he was hearing things, looking down at her with wide eyes "My room? Adalicia the guests are wai-"

"We're vampires, what's a few more minutes to eternity?"

She got him there.

"Fine. But you stay quiet." Erich took her hand, holding it tighter as they took a left turn instead of right to the bedroom chambers and not the dining quarters.

"Quiet as a streetwalker in church." She teased.

But Erich knew she would be less than that once they reached their destination. How he hated falling for her traps so easily. As if he wanted to.