To Love Is to Die - Chapter Nine

"One fire burns out another's burning, one pain is lessen'd by another's anguish."

William Shakespeare, Romeo and Juliet

***

Abbi stared at Alexander as if he were the only thing in the world to look at. Trying to appear nonchalant, she swallowed heavily, her emotion rising in her throat like bile.

Nathaniel's father returned her unyielding gaze, his eyes pondering her reaction. Some part of him, as she watched the expressions revolving in his tight features, was smug.

"Has Nathaniel broken any of these laws, sir?" She asked shakily, bothered by the idea of Nate being punished in any way.

Apparently, Alexander felt the same way, for his complacent smirk dropped immediately and his eyes found the floor. "The people he is closest to have noticed a change ever since he attained a subjugate, which just so happens to be you. Already, he's come in contact with your father, and that in itself was very risky. Right now, I'm trying to keep the encounter a secret, but we're uneasily awaiting your father to say something. Fortunately, it appears that he has no leads as to whom you were with."

In hearing this, Abbi became relieved. If Todd didn't know or recognize Nathaniel, then he wasn't in any danger so far. From what Alexander said, her father also hadn't contacted the authorities. But that still didn't save him from the threat of their feelings; law number five.

"You think Nathaniel is in danger of falling in love with me." Abbi stated slowly.

Alexander nodded, his eyes severe as he gazed forcefully at her. Abigail felt her face get hot with a mixture of retaliation and shame. If I told you I loved you, then Id have to kill you. The dream was chanting inside her head; but it all made sense; so much sense that she found the fear that put a tremor in her bones, dissipated and replaced the feeling with strong purpose.

"And you want me to do something about it."

He nodded once more. Abbi sighed heavily, trying to suppress the inner rage crawling up her spine. It wasn't fair! Why would she have to suffer for feeling something for someone? It was incredible prejudice, and despite the law, she had a sudden need to be near Nathaniel; just to prove a point of defiance.

"I don't understand, Alexander. Why is it so crucial for Vampire and Human not to be romantically involved?"

He rubbed his chin with two fingers, while letting a breath pass his lips.

"A good question indeed, my dear. I suppose, the Court finds themselves threatened by the offspring of Human and Vampire. The creature is typically rouge with no knowledge, or want, to preserve life. Instead of nurturing it, the baby would most likely cause mass-murder in a well fledged community. That in all forms, would directly lead to the discovery of Vampires. Another, more judicial reason, would be that the Court finds it disgusting and unnatural. Humans are our food, and any romantic involvement would just be wrong."

Wrong? Abbi felt put off at that, rage blooming in her chest. "Why? They were human once, too." She argued, her eyes narrowing.

Alexander snorted in frustration. "Another thing my son failed to mention. The court, or leaders of our race, our strictly pure-blood vampires. They come from a long line of restricted nobles, all leading up to the original vampire himself; Camael. The rest of us are underneath them, in the Courts eyes, and are not yet considered trash, but slightly above it. Even in this, they want every Vampire modeled in their image; that was reasoning behind the laws."

"Is Nathaniel a pure-blood? Are you?"

Alexander paled, and a look similar to pain crossed his face. "He is somewhat in between." The man paused, then frowned. "You see, his mother was a pure-blood. Her father is even the head of the Court to this day. Where as I am strictly considered changed from mundane, into Vampire. Not a pure-blood."