Heart for a Life - Chapter Eleven

"From the depths of hell,
So far I fell,
A deal made with the devil,
After all the dust had settled,
There's an hourglass of time,
Counting down all of our lives,
And with every grain of sand,
Time is slipping through my hands."

falling in reverse (poem)

***

Guilt frayed at Abbi's mind. I'm a pathetic excuse of a person, She thought miserably to herself.

The idle temptations that had played with her before now tortured Abbi, only because she had strictly told Nathaniel what for. It was the opposite of what she actually wanted.

She wanted him to touch her, and the imaginative parts of her mind were constantly throwing out fantasies. Abbi wanted him to speak to her; she needed his low sardonic voice constantly reminding her of the position she was in, a position that Abbi, was starting to grow fond of.

She wanted him here, right now; she longed for the thick lashes sprung across icy eyes, and blond tousled hair.

Someone stepped into the room, and her heart fluttered at the thought of it being him. Abbi knew she would apologize for everything she had said, and a smile flashed on her mouth as she turned expectantly towards the door.

It wasn't Nathaniel. Instead, Jeffery stood in the doorway, with a severe expression crossing his face as he gave her a pity-filled gaze.

"Madame ... your presence is requested." He said, his voice strained.

Abbi stood up from her pile of pathetic on the floor and moved to stand next to the old man. She smoothed her hair down unconsciously and tried not to act nervous. Was this how it was supposed to be? Every time Nathaniel wanted to even see her, he would have Jeffery call on her? The thought made Abbi's heart contract uneasily.

Without another word, Jeffery lead her from the room and down the hallway. Inside the large familiar room with pudgy angels swinging around the ceiling, she spotted three people amongst Jeffery and herself.

The first one, to whom her eyes flew in a second, was Nathaniel. He gave her a cold stare and she quickly slid her eyes to the person next to him; Alexander. Then off to the side, stood a man with a babyish looking face - smoothed to perfection - and glassy eyes.

He was expressionless - almost. At first glance he looked so ordinary it was hard to swallow, and then, once dissecting his features more closely, he was almost sneering. He couldn't have been more than twenty, and yet, he held the most arrogant and eternal air she had ever felt. It crackled throughout the room, immediately telling Abbi who was dominant in this situation.

Alexander stepped forward, his face resigned as he bowed uncharacteristically. "Greetings Miss Worthington, I would like to properly introduce the head of the Vampiring Court, and Nathaniel's very own Grandfather; Lucifer Knightly." He gestured elegantly towards the young man, who was standing there looking slightly smug.

Abbi, feeling her own smoldering gaze meet the bland blue one, dipped her head. Though, she felt the need to curtsy or something more proper for the title he held. It was strange, seeing someone who appeared so young, to claim the title "Grandfather". In fact, Abbi was positive that Alexander looked older than the man.

Lucifer had a ghost of a smile flash across his thin lips. "Gracious ... so your the one, aren't you, my dear?" He stepped right up to Abbi, delicately taking her hand, before bringing his lips to the top of it. Lucifer dropped her arm almost immediately.

Abbi's voice was shaky. "I'm afraid I don't know which one your speaking of, Sir Knightly, but I will take that as a compliment and thank you."

He let out a loud, very humorless, laugh. "Oh would you please call me Lucifer, Dear Abigail."