CHAPTER TWO

CHAPTER TWO

            The vampires I used to know from books and movies were centuries-old handsome and beautiful aristocrats who form clans. Now, they are just plain sadistic bloodsuckers without a mind of their own. Of course, everyone knew the government conspiracy surrounding their existence. Where else would they come from?

            The disease was named hemophagia. The virus can be transferred through bites and blood transfusion. Once it reaches the brain, there’s no way of bringing back the person who got infected. The effect is so fast; you’ll get screwed up in a matter of minutes after getting bit. Hemophages feed on blood and are sensitive to the sun. And they are pure evil. They kill not of hunger but of the joy of killing. So, the people started calling them vampires. I guess it sold more papers, brought higher ratings.

            Now, these vampires form the ninety-nine percent of the world’s population. The remaining one percent? Locked in rescue shelters strewn all around the world and will remain locked until a solution is found. That’s the new information Rohan told me. I feel heavy, almost giddy. There are others. I’m not alone. We’re not alone.

            Rohan, who smells like shampoo and fresh air, drives the motorcycle. I’m behind him with my arms wrapped around on his midsection; I’m literally palming the lumps on his stomach through a thin layer of fabric. It’s uncomfortable but I don’t have any other choice since he’s driving too fast and we don’t have helmets. I can’t risk removing my grip if it means falling off.

            We’re safe for now. We just escaped a potential massacre and I’m thankful that I’m still alive. I should thank him. I just wish I know how. Unfortunately, the apocalypse took my manners away.

            Hours passed, I lost count on them, and Rohan finally stopped at a gas station. We’ve been travelling for so long, I’m sure we’re far away from that town now. He pumps gas on his motorcycle as I jump around, trying to ease the numbness of my butt and legs. My hair is all in tangles and my eyes hurt from the wind.

            “See that?” he points at a small building behind the gas station. “I’m gonna go in there and check if it’s safe. Lend me your gun.”

            “What? No way, man.” Given that he saved my life but I don’t trust him. Who knows he might steal my gun?

            “You’re not even using it.”

            “And your point is?”

            He just shakes his head. “Fine. Come with me, then. Watch my back for me.” He walks toward the building before I can answer.

            My eyebrows meet in the middle. Since when did I agree on this alliance? I can’t remember. I can run now. He got his back turned at me and I can slip away unnoticed. Can I? I purse my lips together in exasperation.

            “Damn it,” I grumble as I follow Rohan’s steps. I owe him one. I can’t just leave without making things even. Besides, I have to know if there’s one of those rescue camps here in the Philippines.

            I hold the shotgun with both hands. I’m inexperienced as I’m supposed to be. This is actually the first gun I ever held and it feels awkward in my hands. Rohan look back at me.

            “If I had known you don’t even know how to hold a gun, I could’ve just said ‘Hi.’”

            “Shut up,” I hiss at him. A little smile plays on his lips. He walks back towards me.