23. The Climb

Jordyn

Walking hurts.

Every step is like standing on nails, and every breath feels like swallowing hot coals. I'm panting within seconds and clinging to branches and vines for support.

Yet, the jungle floor doesn't claim me. I remain upright and continue walking regardless. My head tilts back as I stare at the red shape flying overhead, its wings flapping in slow motion.

Ahead of us, the volcano looms. A pillar of smoke curls out of the top, lighter gray than the day before. It hits the dome and billows away like real clouds.

As we get closer to the base of the source, the ground elevates little by little. Every step becomes more of a challenge. Sweat beads form along my neck and roll down the back of my jumpsuit. I pause for a minute to peel my hair away from it and hold it against my head. The action loosens my lungs as well since I keep my good arm up.

I cannot stop.

I refuse to feel the way I did under Neil's foot--small and powerless.

That is not who I am.

A scream echoes through the woods, and I slump into the tree beside me. It leans with my weight but stands upright. The monkeys who were following me scatter at my sudden stop. I ignore them and glance over head.

That wasn't a human scream.

The bird circles around the stream of smoke a few times.

What is it doing?

I narrow my eyes and twist my face up in confusion.

The bird lets out another blood-chilling scream and then dives headfirst into the center of the volcano. I suck in a shocked breath and hold it. My heartbeat races in the palm of my hand that clings to the tree beside me, a drum beat of an anxious tragedy.

A tense minute passes, and then, the bird emerges from the smoke. It lands for a moment on the edge of the mouth of the volcano, shakes its head, and then lifts off once again. I watch it until it disappears from my sight.

What just happened?

Did the bird drop Kaia into the magma? Is that even possible? It looked completely untouched.

Curiosity bubbles up in my chest like a pot of boiling water. I have to go up there.

I assess the challenge ahead of me. The climb is nearly vertical, and I'm down an arm. I might be able to climb with my hand and knees, but even then, the possibility of slipping back down the hill is high. I glance up at the mouth of the volcano.

There's no other option; I have to climb. The fear of not knowing what happened to Kaia drives me further.

The sun has reached its tallest height and bears down on me with all the force of searing fire. The sensitive, open areas of my skin tingle and burn as I walk out into the open. Without the trees to hold onto, I stagger on my own legs. Still, I refuse to fail. Not this time.

I walk up the slope for a while, until I'm forced to use my single good arm for support. The ground shreds away under my feet, sending rocks and dirt tumbling down after me. I dig my fingers and bury my toes into the soft bank to hoist myself up.

Climbing requires all of my concentration, and the world fades out. All I feel is dirt and sweat, the pulsing of my thigh muscles and the racing of my heartbeat. My painful wheezing serves as a soundtrack to the adventure. I'm able to block out all outside elements.

Until a rock slams into my right ear and sends a jolt of pain through my head.

I duck towards the ground and look up, afraid I've started an avalanche. Yet, no rocks slide down.