30. The Door (Part 2)

Jordyn

"Neil," I say as the smirking boy comes into full view.

"Hey, Jordyn," he says, spreading his arms. "Did you miss me?"

I roll my eyes.

"I'll take that as a no. What happened to Orphan Annie?" He jerks his head towards Sam.

"I think you know," I growl.

"Was it the morphs? Did Murano finally give clearance to release them?"

Morphs? I assume he's talking about Sarah and Kaia, so I just nod.

"Sweet," he says. "I told her they would be killer."

He takes a step towards the three of us, crossing his arms.

"That little bird trick you pulled was clever," he says. "I did not see that one coming. You remind me of a roach--impossible to kill."

Ezra steps in front of me as Neil gets closer.

"Oh, calm down, boy genius. You're gonna need me if you wanna get through that door," Neil says. I place a hand on Ezra's hip and push him gently out of the way.

"How?" I ask.

Neil digs into his pocket and draws out a small piece of white plastic.

"I've got the keycard, Jordyn," he whispers. "I'm the only one in the entire complex that does."

"Why you?" I spit, before I can stop myself.

"Because he's Murano's slave," Ezra seethes.

Neil glares at him, and I shiver. I've been the recipient of that look. I know how intense it is. Yet, Ezra doesn't even blink or fold.

"Oh, Ezra," Neil says, still glaring. "Watch your tongue. I would hate if it got chopped off."

"I'd like to see you try," Ezra replies.

Neil draws a knife out of his pockets and lunges at Ezra. I take a step back and shout Ezra's name, but the boy is on equal footing with Neil. He grabs Neil's wrist and twists it away from him, but Neil kicks out at him, knocking him off balance. While Ezra stumbles back, the other boy takes advantage of the moment of weakness and drags his knife across Ezra's chest.

Ezra gasps in pain, leaning against the wall. Neil steps back, twirling the knife between his fingers.

"It'll be your tongue next," he warns. "Anything else to say?"

Ezra keeps quiet, shooting a glare almost more dangerous than Neil's.

Neil turns back towards me.

"You're the logical one in the room," he says. "Now, what was your question?"

"Why do you have the only keycard?" I ask.

"Because Murano gave it to me."

"Clearly," I snap, "but why you?"

"Who else? I mean, after all, I am her Presidential Assistant."

"It was you!" I screech, pointing. "You turned Sam and I in on the night we were caught!"

Neil claps again.

"Good job, Jordyn. I'm assuming Ezra told you. You never would have remembered that on your own." He pockets the knife and nods. "It was me. I wasn't supposed to be in The Hills that night. Murano had asked me to travel outside city limits and check on a reform facility on the coast.