I ♛ Thomas James Collins

[Chapter 1]

No young man, or woman, no matter how great they are, can know their destiny

No young man, or woman, no matter how great they are, can know their destiny.  They cannot glimpse their part in the great story that is about to unfold.  Like everyone else, they must live and learn.  And so it will be for the young warlock arriving at the gates of Camelot, and the young maiden already living in the very same castle.  A boy, who will, in time, father the legend.  A lady, who will guide those to be known throughout the land of Albion.  Their names...Merlin and Charlotte.

"Char!  Char!  You've got to come see!" A seven-year-old boy calls out to a young girl with long, brunette hair, pulling her pale blue hood up. She turns to the boy with a soft smile, asking, "What is it?  Is Evangeline stuck in a tree again?"

"No!  Just come!"  Not waiting for an answer, he pulls her by the hand down the streets of Camelot, through alleyways, and out the upper quarter.  Standing guards give the two amused looks as they run past. Charlotte laughs, holding onto the edge of the hood as it tries to fly off in the breeze, "Where are you taking me?"

"Shh!  You'll see!"  The boy leads her all the way to the outer gates of the castle, stopping by the entrance to the lower quarter.  He looks around, trying to remember the exact spot.  "Where was he again?  Maybe over here?  No, that's not it."

"Blaise, are you okay?" Char cautiously questions, a little concerned over the boy, who seems quite worried.  He sighs, "I don't know where he went.  It was a bird — one I've never seen before!  He was beautiful!"

"Ah, so that's it." She nods, instantly understanding.  Blaise has a sort of obsessed nature over bird watching.  Him and Evangeline would usually be found in trees, watching the small creatures in interest; unfortunately, the latter wasn't the best at climbing down as she was at climbing up.  Anytime the two children found a new species they had never seen before, they would immediately call for Charlotte, and she would come running.  "Well, it'll be okay.  He probably flew off to join another bird.  You can call me over the next time you see him, alright?"

"I guess..."

"But in the mean time, I think I hear your mother calling for you.  Why don't you run along home?"

"Okay.  See you later, Char!"

"Farewell, Blaise!"  As the boy takes off, Charlotte releases a long sigh.  These days, it seems like she's being pulled so many directions, she doesn't know where to turn.  Before she can head on back to the citadel, a voice draws her attention, "Are you as good with other people as you are with children?"

She snaps her head up, raising her brows at the newcomer.  He's a boy her age, arriving in Camelot for the first time from the looks of the pack latched around his shoulders.  He's quite handsome in a dorky sort of way.  She shrugs, retorting, "It depends on the person.  Did you need help?"