A Note On Sensitivity

I've recently discovered that using the word 'gypsy' has racial discriminating connotations, and I am deeply sorry if I had used it ignorantly in the previous chapters. I did not intend to use it to degrade and/or look down on Romani people and culture. I have lacked research and used the word as mainstream media have wrongfully portrayed it for years. However fictional these characters are, I don't want my story to perpetuate the wrong notions about these people in real life. 

It is not the same as calling the Asters 'witches' when actual historical persons (and their families, their communities)  have faced persecution because of that word, because of how they have been seen in our problematic society. 

I have thought about taking down the chapters, or removing the characters I have created as 'gypsies'; but Grandma Vai, Kaven and Jili are essential parts of the story, and their love for their heritage and traditions could become that window that opens into a more positive understanding of people that are no different than us. 

At least, that's what I want. I hope I get to write it right.

So anyway, from this point on, I'll be using a different term to describe the Padureani's magical lineage. I'm still not decided if i want "diviners", "soothsayers" or other terms for magical fortune-tellers, that isn't a racial slur. I will also be doing more research to avoid misrepresenting anyone.

I can't edit the previous chapters yet (it's a personal time management issue) so they'll be there until I finish posting the whole story, but I PROMISE you, I'll edit it out when I finally can.

Again, I apologize profusely.