N I N E | Congrats, Miss Greene

{Gif of Olivia}

Song: Sad Song

Artist (s): We The Kings ft Elena Coats

One day, I want someone to look past my fake smile, pull me close and say, no, you're not okay.

****************************************************************************************************************************************

I had so many chances to join my parents. Too many. But I didn't. Because I am also human. I fall, I rise, I make mistakes and I learn. I've been hurt, but I'm alive. And what a privilege being alive is - to be able to breathe, to think, to be able to chase the things we love. Sometimes there is sadness in our journey, it's full of pain, but it can also be full of beauty. And I've had enough of getting accustomed to the pain. Now, I'm on the search for this beauty of life. I'm going to put one foot in-front of the other, even when I'm hurt because otherwise, I'm never going to know what's going to be waiting around the corner.

"Penny for your thoughts?" Neels voice broke me out of my trance, I shifted my gaze from the window onto him. I shrugged my shoulders not knowing what to say.

"Thank you" I whispered after a while. Neel looked at me for a split-second - brows furrowed -before turning back to the road.

"For what?" 

Everything.

"For the drive" 

"You need to stop thanking me. I do everything because I want to." Neel sighed, pulling in-front of a small cafe. Neel got out, heading start for my door, opening it for me. For a rumoured gang-leader he was very chivalrous. Not that I believed that one bit, at least not until he said it himself. I didn't believe in rumours. Rumours are carried by haters, spread by fools and accepted by idiots. People are just quick to believe bad things about good people.   

Neel led us to a corner booth, settling down before asking me what I wanted.

"Do you drink coffee?" I didn't like coffee. I shook my head, and Neel nodded telling me what else I would like if not coffee. I didn't want anything, mostly because I didn't want him to pay for me. 

"I'm going to order something for you, whether you ask for it or not." 

"I'll take a vanilla milkshake" I said after Neel didn't stop staring at him. Neel called over a waitress giving in our orders. We sat in silence for a while until I heard something familiar. We The Kings were playing on the radio. My lips unconsciously tugged up, into a small smile. Neels eyes widened a fraction and my smile fell. 

"You should smile more. It's a very pretty smile"  Heat rose to my cheeks and I didn't dare make eye-contact.

"Do you like this band?"

"My mom and I would always sing to them. Mom listened to them so much, that I started loving them too." I remember when mom was alive, she would play their songs and we would sing along to them as she cooked. I wish we could go back. 

"What's the name of the band?" Neel asked as the waitress came back with my milkshake and Neels' cappuccino. 

"We The Kings" Neel smirked at the name.

"I like the name, but I've never heard of them." 

"They're really under-rated." He nodded. He took as sip of his drink as did I. A few seconds later he looks up at me.