11 - Deep Staring Contests Are Fun

"So, you got detention too, huh?" Brock asked as I sat across him at lunch. Just to clear things up, we didn't usually sit together during lunchtime, so that could only mean one thing...

We were both on lunch detention.

They didn't have this dumb concept of isolating children during their free time in Australia, so imagine my surprise when I was handed a pink slip by that substitute which read, 'LUNCH DETENTION'.

And to think I was going to skip it.

I'd been personally escorted out during my third period of the day, which showed they meant business. I'd even tried the toilet excuse, but the teacher wasn't having it.

"Yep." I sighed, picking at my salad. Today they were serving their famous chicken curry which looked more like chicken intestines than anything.

"At least now you have the opportunity to tell me what happened between you and John!" He chirped with a full mouth of curry. I sighed, amused. I'd hoped he would forget about that.

"Alright, so..." I started, putting down my fork and life and keeping my chin in my hands.

"It was a calm, bright day, the warm rays of sunshine enhancing the natural glow on a young Chloe's skin-"

"-And Brock couldn't care less." The rude jock cut me off with a smug smirk. I just rolled my eyes and continued.

"Alright, so John and I have known each other since we were children. We met through my older sister, Amber and her boyfriend at the time, Joe. Joe's mum was a babysitter for John, so whenever I'd go over with Amber, he was there most of the time." I briefly explained and Brock nodded, looking a bit bored.

"So why aren't you guys talking now?" He interrupted and I grabbed my ruler and slapped his hand. He looked at me with wide eyes and a pained expression.

"Whenever you unnecessarily interrupt me, I'm going to hit you." I informed him, keeping my ruler back.

"Anyway, so all was nice and calm. I remember it was Christmas, which also happens to be my birthday," I added with a slight hair flip and Brock nodded.

"Whoa, you're a Christmas baby?" I heard a voice say behind me. I turned to see Benjamin sitting next to me.

"Yeah, are you?" I asked, slightly amused at his excited expression.

"Hell yeah!" He exclaimed, and then covered his mouth with a guilty face. I burst out laughing.

"Back to my story, let's fast forward to when it was my fourteenth birthday, and my family and friends were celebrating Christmas at our house. I was trying to hang up a decoration on the Christmas tree, and my boy Johnnie was being my ladder." I smiled at the memory.

"Suddenly, out of nowhere, the song 'Under the Mistletoe' by my husband Justin Bieber-" They both groaned in disgust and I whipped out my ruler and slapped both their hands.

"Chloe!" Benjamin exclaimed while Brock just gave me a glare. I raise my ruler cheatingly again and he backed down. Nodding in satisfaction, I carried on.

"This wouldn't have been an issue, except one of the speakers was right next to my face and it was playing very loudly. So, I fell, only to-"

"Be caught by John, yes we know." Brock cut me off again in a bored tone. I shook my head, and brought out my ruler, leaning over to hit him. But Brock wasn't having it this time.

He grabbed my ruler, surprisingly me, and tried tugging it out of my grasp. I pulled back with the same strength, but the outcome was inevitable. Who worked out the most between us?