4) Character Choice

I've been mentioning for the past few sections that character choice can also ramp up tension. 

So what is it and how does it work? 

This is where things get interesting. Character choice can work both ways. 

First, the character has no choice except to go after the goal. 

This is especially a good thing when you're writing stories with some sort of horrifying scenario, where no sane character would stay if he/she had a choice. 

A lot of horror stories work like this. They start off with a car breaking down, or a flood cutting the characters off while traveling, or the psycho locking people up together... that sort of thing. Why? Because now the character has no chance of leaving. And we all know it's only a matter of time before the serial killer/vampire/whatever else starts killing. 

It also means that the hero (the one we hope will survive) will eventually have to face the villain if he/she wants a chance to survive. Which of course drives the tension sky high. 

Of course, horror isn't the only genre where it's used. Any plots involving blackmailing the main character into forcing him to do something, any plots where something or someone leaves the main character without options, work on this basic principle. 

On the other hand, tension can be driven up just as much by going the opposite way. 

Giving the character a choice especially works well when the stakes are high. In plots where the main character is the chosen one expected to save everyone, this little technique can be used quite effectively. (Sadly, it's not used all that often.) 

See, when we care about the world and what happens to it and only one person can save it, giving that person a choice in the matter can drive the tension into the stratosphere. Especially when the character finds the option of not stepping up and saving the world more attractive. 

The character's choice can then be an incredibly powerful source of tension, yet it's probably the factor that gets ignored most. Heroes save the day just because they are heroes. Nothing else truly compels them, which means that something that can truly compel the reader to keep reading gets lost in the writing. 

So take a look at your story if your tension just doesn't seem to be working as it should. Maybe the stakes are just right. Maybe you have the perfect conflict going. But maybe the tension isn't tight enough because you never took character choice into account... 

Thanks again for reading! Once again, you're welcome to ask any question related to the writing craft. If it's a good one that I'll need to put into the book, I'll dedicate the section to you. 

Coming up next: 

Inciting Incident

More on Goals

The Real Truth Behind Tension