9) How to Hook Your Reader

I realize it might seem strange that I split this section and the Truth About Tension section with something about the type of writer you are, but there is a reason behind my madness. 

Basically, it comes down to the fact that the first six sections dealt with how you can create tension with plot. The seventh chapter, I've brought in the idea that plot alone can't create tension.

In fact, there's more to creating and maintaining tension than plot. The previous section was me giving you a break before getting into some more detail. And yes. I will be putting these sorts of little breaks in everywhere. 

For right now, I'm going to go into the intecracies of characterization a bit deeper. Some things, you probably know. But I will probably address them anyway for the benefit of new writers reading this book. I will try to make things at least a bit more interesting for the more seasoned writer as well. 

I should also mention that I will be returning to plot related points as the time comes. But first, I'm thinking we need to look at how character relates to tension. 

Which brings me to the point of today's section: 

How to Hook Your Reader. 

Quoting Gamer9irl, whose question earned this section's dedication: "With the stories I write I always have the same problem, I want the first chapter to be exciting and make people read more BUT I don't want to rush into the drama. How can I solve this problem?" 

This question does a lot to capture the essence of why writers, especially ones who are new to the writing game, struggle with beginnings. 

When people read a scene that grabs them and keeps them, they tend to see the action and excitement. They then assume that the action causes the excitement. It makes sense, after all. There's something huge happening. And you're excited. Yes and yes. 

But have you ever thought about where the excitement really comes from

This should come with a warning: If you don't know what I'm about to tell you already, you'll find that this will change the way you read books forever. Well. If you care to apply what I have to say. 

The truth is that the action isn't the sole cause of excitement. In fact, it can be argued that it's not the cause at all. Instead, the action is there to feed the excitement that's already there. 

Which means that it's not excitement that makes the reader read on. If action scenes and excitement were the source of reader interest, many wonderful literary stories wouldn't have been successful. 

Therefore, if excitement isn't what hooks the reader, what does? 

From my Truth About Tension section, you'll know that the reader's involvement with the main characters is what creates tension. Yes, the plot aspects (goal, conflict, stakes) also do their job. But nothing will make the reader feel the tension if the reader doesn't care about the story's outcome. 

Furthermore, if you can't interest the reader in the story, you can't make them care. Which means that until you do have them caring, they won't be excited, happy, sad, worried, or anything else you want them to be.  They won't even really be interested. 

So how does one make the reader care? 

Again, I'm going to need for you to take a step back and think about the reader's experience here. Generally speaking, it goes something like this: