Chapter 42

Jonah found his father’s avatar inland, in the forest, close to where he had left him.

‘You found me,’ said Jason Delacroix. ‘I knew you’d find me.’

‘What are you still doing here, Dad?’

‘It’s so good to see you, son.’

‘We’ve got to get you out of here. The Island is collapsing and—’

‘I’ve been doing what I can. I’ve been spreading this story of yours.’

‘I know,’ said Jonah. ‘I know you have, Dad. And you did really well. But you have to stop now. I need you to follow the others out of here.’

‘I’ve been telling them to remember.’

‘I know. Please, Dad...’

‘But the earthquakes... It’s so hard to concentrate with all these earthquakes. I’ve been trying to remember... There was something I had to tell you.’

‘And there are things I need to ask you too, but they can wait.’

The sky had turned pitch-black. The Island had begun to shake constantly. Grey fault lines were spreading everywhere, disintegrating chunks of ground where they crisscrossed. Jonah had to be careful not to touch them, in case the damage spread to him. He saw a tree beginning to depixelate by his shoulder, and he leapt away from it.

Sam flew up behind Jonah. She eyed the red dragon avatar in front of him. ‘You found him,’ she said. ‘I’m glad. But, Jonah...’

‘I know,’ said Jonah. ‘Dad, I need you to do something for me. Something else.’

‘Of course, son. If I can.’

‘That white light in the sky. I need you to fly into it, Dad. Like the others. Follow the other avatars.’

‘Can’t I just stay here with you, Jonah?’

‘I’ll find you again, Dad, I promise. I’ll find you on the other side, where it’s safe and we can be together.’

‘Just like old times,’ said Jason Delacroix.

‘Just like old times,’ repeated Jonah, wishing it was true, wishing he didn’t have to lie. He knew that nothing would ever be like it was. But this version of his father, this confused Uploaded avatar, was better than having no dad at all. ‘Now go. Fly!’

Jason spread his dragon’s wings and flew off, towards the light. Towards the bridge. Jonah watched him go, until he felt Sam tugging at his arm with her teeth.

‘We have to go now too,’ she said.

‘Not yet,’ said Jonah. ‘I still have to find Nan.’ ‘There isn’t time!’

But Jonah was already flying headlong through the forest, towards the shore, towards the part of the Island he knew best. His grandmother’s beach.

‘She’ll have left already,’ insisted Sam, at his heels. ‘Almost everyone has left.’

‘But what if she hasn’t? What if she’s confused? What if Nan is still looking for people to help remember, like Dad was? What if...?’

The beach was just ahead of them. Jonah could hear the sea, lapping against the shore, but there was something odd about the sound. It was on a loop, he realised, repeating itself endlessly. He flew out from between the trees, but came up short.

There was no sea, and no shore. There was nothing at all in front of him. Nothing but the void. And he had almost flown right into it.

Sam screamed his name. She tackled Jonah, pushing him with her horn. Another section of the Island crumbled underneath him, and around him. The void had taken a great bite out of the forest now, too. Jonah saw grey pixels spreading up his arm, and cried out in alarm. Fortunately, his terminal, back in the Southern Corner, was able to refresh his avatar. This time.