7.2 Marionette Strings

September

“A couple good shows, Sarah. That’s all it’ll take!”

“’A couple good shows?’ Do you know how many times I’ve heard that claim?” 

“We’ll get a call any day now--”

“Yeah? And would you even answer the phone if someone called?”

“That was one mistake.”

Two mistakes, Will. We missed two profitable shows because you were too busy writing to pick up the phone.”

“It won’t happen again. Please, honey. I need my wife back.”

“I need my husband back...”

“What does that mean? I’m right here!”

“You’re not.”

“What changed in me? What do you see that’s different? I broke my hand! I lost my fingers! But that doesn’t mean I’m a different person!”

“You don’t understand.”

“Make me understand! You’ve been upset with me for three--”

“I’m not upset.”

“You’re cold.”

“I’m confused.”

“Confused about what?”

“I’m trying, William! With all my heart and mind and soul, I’m trying.

“I’m working on a new script. I wanted to show you...”

“I read it.”

“You read my script?”

“The one that was taped to the window. I read it.”

“How was it? ...Sarah! How was it?”

“Brilliant. Your best work.”

“See? It’s in me! I still have it! And without drugs! The first screenplay was good enough to receive five-million dollars twenty-five years ago. And this version is better! I just need my chance!”

“When did I stop being enough for you? There was a time when I was all you needed.”

“You’re still all I need.”

“Really, Will?”

“Really.”

“What if I asked you to tear down that theater right now? What would you do?”

“You wouldn’t ask. It’s a bullshit hypothetical.”

“Is it? Okay William Carmel--husband-of-mine--I want you to tear down that theater. Okay? Now it’s a bullshit reality.”

“You’re not serious.”

“I am. I want to be normal.”

“You’re not serious.”

“I need the old Will.”

“The old Will? How old? How far back do you need me to go? Ten years? Twenty? How about thirty? Do you want me to make a few calls from the Shoppe ‘n Fill parking lot? I could meet up with Charlie Arson and have a grand ol’ time!”

“You know what I want.”

“And I’m trying to give that to you!”

“It’s not working. You can’t give me what I need with that theater still on that hill.”