one

a new chapter will be uploaded on Inkitt @ sallieholland every Saturday!

amazing trailer by sunflowerin <3 

"I was too caught up in what I had lost to realise that it was right there all along."

C h a p t e r O n e

I was trapped in humidity the moment I stepped out of the yellow cab. My fingers combed through my golden brown curls as I attempted desperately to tame these unruly mess but it only ended up sticking onto my face. Sighing with defeat, I dragged my dark suitcase behind me as I entered the air-conditioned terminal.

Almost instantly, I felt refreshed. My eyes wandered around aimlessly, searching for my flight number as my hand searched through my tote bag for my passport. Enough said I was great at multitasking. Within minutes, I stood in a queue with my red passport gripped tightly in my hand, waiting for my turn.

I couldn't believe I was already leaving LA. Vivid memories of the Los Angeles beach and its beautiful night-time city flashed through my mind. It was the second last summer before my college year - the summer that leads to my last high school year.

Time passed by so fast.

After receiving my plane ticket, I placed my luggage onto the carousel. An agent wrapped a sticker-like paper around it and sent it in. I watched it proceed for mere seconds before setting off. Making my way to the security checkpoint, I fiddled with my phone.

A security agent allowed me to walk through the metal detector once he checked my boarding pass and passport. I readjusted the Aztec print bag on my shoulder and wrapped my fingers around the straps. Subsequently, I doubled checked my gate number and headed towards the directory sign.

I turned on my phone one last time and checked the time. It was only six thirty - that made it a half an hour wait. Ensconcing myself down on the plastic blue chair, I pulled out my iPod. The soft tunes of Ariana Grande's 'My Everything' echoed through my headphones.

Now that you're gone, my heart is missing something.

It bothered me how I could still relate to the lyrics. There wasn't an us anymore.

I hummed softly along with the beat, trying to hold back tears. I didn't want to cry anymore - I've already lost too much tears. Shutting my eyes, I forced myself to concentrate on happy thoughts.

Think of unicorns, Elliot. I told myself. Unicorns, rainbows, and butterflies.

And it almost worked.

Just as I was about to let those joyful thoughts roam free in my mind, a sudden jab of pain shot through my toe. My eyes snapped open instantly as I let out a high-pitched screech and muffled curses. I brought my legs up and wrapped my arms around it protectively.

Some idiot had stepped on my pinkie toe.

Talk about the disadvantages of wearing flip flops.

My fingers caressed my bruised toe with extreme care as I examined it closely. It was in an ugly, dark purple colour with a hint of red. My head shot up and my eyes shot daggers at the perpetrator. Only if looks could kill, that person would be dead by now.

Right after I raised my head, I found myself staring at a dark haired boy possibly my age. He was tall and lean, athletic but not too muscular. His jet-black hair was swept back into an I-just-woke-up kind of style and his light green orbs, which were framed flawlessly by his long, dark lashes, sparkled with both interest and annoyance. Long story short the boy standing in front of me, the same one who injured my toe, looked like he just came out of an Abercrombie and Fitch photo-shoot.