five

C h a p t e r   F i v e

"Elliot," he whispered as he took a step closer, trapping me between his arms. I could feel my heart pound against my chest, louder than any drums. "Yes?" I breathed out, barely audible. His breath tickled my neck, "I have always like you."

I swear my heart was going to fly out. "That's funny 'cause I've always – "

My sentence was stopped fortuitously by his lips pressed against mine. I smiled against his lips, "That's funny 'cause I've always felt the same, Cole."

"Miss Darren!"

I was wakened up abruptly by a sharp pain on the back of my head. I didn't want to wake up, but then again, I didn't know if that was an illuminated dream or haunted memory. It was too painful to remember. An impurely white object fell as I regained my posture – chalk. In front of the classroom stood Mr. Adams, my chemistry teacher, and he was not smiling. In fact, he looked like he was going to punch someone in the face.

Me, to be exact.

"Can you please explain why you fell asleep during my class?"

It wasn't his fault, really. Not mine, either. If he was looking for someone to blame, blame the school. They shouldn't put any class for first period. I mean, how can anyone not fall asleep at eight in the morning?

"I wasn't sleeping," I blurt out. "I was... listening to class with my eyes closed."

Way to go, Elliot. I rolled my eyes mentally.

He raised an eyebrow, "Then can you explain to me what I was talking about?"

I looked over at Ava for support. She seemed to get the hint and started mouthing a few words to me on repeat. Unfortunately, I couldn't make out a word she said.

"You were..." I stammered, breaking a sweat, "teaching."

He stared at me for a full second, fuming. I slapped myself mentally while the whole class burst into continuous laughter. With the corner of my eye, I saw Ava face palmed herself while Alec looked like he was about to fall off his chair.

"Silence!" Mr. Adams called and the class did as they were told. "Can someone tell Miss Darren what we were talking about?"

Josh waved his arms in the air frantically, "Oh! Me, me!"

Letting out a sigh, the teacher said, "Someone else, please." Clearly, Josh had a record of disturbing the class with inappropriate sayings.

A small ginger sitting in the front raised her hand. "You were going to choose lab partners."

A small exclaim escaped my lips. This made much more sense. He always chose new lab partners in the beginning of the year.

"Correct," he said as calmly as possible, "Why don't we start with you?" and pointed his pen at me.

I gave him a small nod, putting on my 'good student' face.

"Elliot Darren with..." his eyes scanned through a list. "Alec Hayden."

Holding back a complaint, I groaned along with a few other girls who were talking about how unfair it was that I was paired with the 'gorgeous' new guy.

Gorgeous my ass. Alec's just a pain in the butt – with striking green eyes and a body that is too good to be true.

"Awesome," I grumbled under my breath. "Lab partners with an idiot."