WILDCARD CHALLENGE - Entry #2: Death's Life by blackrainbow26

Death's Life

by blackrainbow26

He was staring at the world God created. It was wonderful and he never thought he would appreciate such beauty and creation. People were loving and kind to others. There might be others who were vicious and cruel but surprisingly, he had hope for them to change their ways.

“You fancy the world a lot, Death. Do you want to live with them for a while? Know their ways, how they live their life, how they conquer each day,” Gaia, who was beside him, asked. She's the one who was taking care of Earth by maintaining its balance.

“You're the one who's maintaining the balance of nature. Where's the balance in your proposition?” Death asked without any trace of humor. Gaia smiled at him and answered, “You will live among them, powerless, and once you discovered some things in yourself, you can get back.”

Death loved challenges. He wanted to grab it right there and then but he was thinking about his post in checking deaths, gates and its balance. Gaia assured him she could handle everything on her own until he would get back. Being bored for a long time, he instantly agreed. 

Gaia gave him a red fruit that would make him human until his mission was complete. He trusted Gaia because for one, she's his sister. He ate the fruit with his eyes closed. And when he opened them, he was in a different place. He was in a little town and dressed like someone who belonged to a well-off family. People were bowing their heads once they passed by him. He shook his head in disapproval of Gaia's choice of his life on Earth. She could have chosen a more ordinary life than this, he thought.

Gaia filled his head information about his identity. He's Lord Henry of Carrington. He was still him. He made his way on his supposed horse. He was led to a mansion. It was more like a castle. He entered it and his servants were lined up and bowed their heads as he passed by.

The mansion was elegant and it looked like a royal palace. It was not totally his taste but it would do. He wanted a simpler life and not as luxurious like this. He just couldn't oppose this now. Could he?

“My lord, your horse will be ready in an hour. The townsfolks are waiting for you,” one of his servants said. He nodded and sent her off.

The townsfolks were caring and loving. Some were distrustful. Some were just obedient to please him enough. He gave a speech for them to ponder. Ever since he was born, Death was just and even. God taught him these ways and he would imply it to his mundane life.

After the town's meeting, a lady approached Death. His guards stood in front of him in response. He waved them off and they complied immediately. He wanted to know what brought the lady to approach him that bravely. The lady bowed her head and looked at him in the eyes. She's brave enough to face me, he thought.

“My lord, forgive me for taking so much of your time. I just want to give you this gift. You had been very kind to all of us and we want to thank you for that,” she handed Death a carved castle. It was made of wood and it was handmade. He accepted it and thanked her.

She smiled and it took his breath away. He scolded himself inwardly. He was still Death. He couldn't feel like that for a human. 

“You may go. Thank you,” he simply said. She hesitated for a moment and bowed down again before retreating from the place. She looked at him one last time. He was wondering why he was feeling like that. Maybe there's something about her. He shook it off and went home.

It's been a month and Death was having a great and smooth time on Earth. His land was prosperous. The problems they had in the farms were easily solved. He walked at night on the streets and talked to some people around. He liked doing it.