Part One

"Saturday morning jumped out of bed

And put on my best suit

Got in my car and raced like a jet

All the way to you

Knocked on your door with heart in my hand

To ask you a question

'Cause I know that you're an old-fashioned man, yeah

Can I have your daughter for the rest of my life?

Say yes, say yes 'cause I need to know

You say I'll never get your blessing 'til the day I die

Tough luck, my friend, but the answer is 'No'"

Boy do I feel good today! It's a beautiful Saturday morning here in L.A., it's also the day I confront Mr. Sanders about the wedding. Of course I'm sort of banking on him saying yes so I'm not too worried. Mr. Sanders loves me, well haha at least that's the way I play it off. In actuality if the man were in a room with me, two dictators, and a gun with two bullets, naturally he'd shoot me twice and hang out with the other two like best buds. But if there is anything I know about Mr. Sanders it's that: He loves his daughter and if I'm good enough for Marissa I'm sure he'll agree that I am good enough for him too.

For this oh so special occasion I've dusted off my best suit. Sure it's my only suit and I wore it to prom but hey, it was a steal at Goodwill. No need to judge me though, I planned on getting a new one for the wedding. As I look in the mirror and straighten my tie I grin. How can he say no to this face? I mean if I widen my green eyes like a puppy's and I lower my lip it'd got to be nearly impossible right? How can he say no?

"No."

Okay so apparently I was way off. What kind of man says no to their daughter's life time of happiness? Did I seriously race down here early in the morning for this?

Then to top it off he adds, "You'll never get MY blessing for the rest of your life. My wife may like you and Marissa may think she likes you but let's face it I think we can both agree you aren't exactly Harvard material and you certainly not Marissa material. She could do and will do better." Mr Sanders finishes his speech and takes a large gulp of his coffee. Jeez, that stuff is scolding hot is he serious? Not to mention I can't believe I knocked on his front door this morning, beautiful ring and my own heart in my hand, and asked this guy for his daughter in the most serious and loving way I could manage and this is his reaction? He takes an old wrinkled hand and runs it through his graying hair. Looking across the street, past my dumbfounded expression with his dull brown eyes. I mean I knew this guy was old-fashioned, in fact he's just plain old, but this is ridiculous.

I stand up in a determined manner and block his line of vivsion. "Mr. Sanders, I don't mean to start a fight but this is just plain rude." I state matter of factly.