Chapter 1: The Man With Blue Fire

August 23, 2008

The rain was coming down hard. With large droplets that splashed when they contacted a solid surface. It was the day before my birthday – April 10. Coincidentally it was my tenth birthday. Such a big number. Double digits. It was also the day of my mother’s funeral. Dad and I had decided to brave the downpour so we could get Mom flowers. Mom needed flowers on a day like this, where the rain and clouds washed away anything with color or happiness.

            My father was talking to the man who ran the flower shop – a tiny store just on the corner of the intersection so it was easy to spot. Dad was trying to make a deal. He always did, on every single thing. With either coupons or promises that he may or may not be able to keep. I just wanted the two dozen pink roses that rested on the counter. Mom had loved roses. Swallowing hard, I ventured away from Dad. Walking towards the window, I peered out to see all the people walking and bustling about, wearing clothes that ranged in the dark color palette. Just like my own. Though that was purely an unconscious way of dressing due to the storm that was over our heads.

            A flash of color in the sea of grey and black drew my attention. I frowned and glanced back at Dad who was now laughing loudly with the owner. Completely oblivious that I was no longer standing by his side. I tucked a loose lock of red hair behind my ear and made my way out the door. I was wearing a knee length black dress with tights and boots with a black trench coat but I had nothing to protect my head from the freezing rain. I looked around and saw nothing in the crowd. I shook my head, feeling stupid and cold, about to head back in when I saw it in the reflection on the glass door.

            Another flash of color.

            I spun around just in time to see it disappear behind a group of people. Oddly curious, I followed, trying to see to whom that flash of color belonged to. I weaved through the scurrying people and came to a halt at the cross walk. A white hand flashed, warning people to stay where they were. I slipped between two bodies and looked across the street. Directly opposite of me was the flash of color – now still and I could see it perfectly.

            The color belonged to an older teenager with a handsome face; black hair; blue eyes, and pale skin. His clothing was entirely black, just like mine, as though he were going to a funeral. Nowhere on him was that flash of color that had drawn me. No, it was around him in the presence of flames. Blue flames to be more precise. All shades of blue - from the baby blue that was the popular color for a baby boy to the dark, midnight blue that hinted at mysteries. And the energy that radiated from the teenager was like static. I could feel it in my bones, even though an entire street and a blanket of rain separated us.

            Fear curdled my heart. How did no one see the flames that he was engulfed in? Feel the burning energy that came from him? Why were they just standing there, as though it were just a regular day? I was about to scream for him to get help but the teen merely raised his forefingers to his lips, mutely telling me to be silent. My breath got caught in my chest and my lips parted, as I looked into his eyes, unable to look away.

            Distantly, I could hear Dad calling my name but it was like I was in some sort of trance. I couldn’t move, couldn’t speak, and couldn’t respond to him. I was frozen. The loud beeping noise that signaled permission for people to cross the street tore through my reverie and the teen covered in blue fire slithered away into the crowd. In the next second, a hand with an iron grip grabbed my upper arm and spun me around forcefully.

            I found myself face to face with Dad who gripped my shoulders now with both his hands, “Jaye! Why didn’t you answer me? Why did you even walk away in the first place?”

            “I’m sorry,” I said weakly.

            “Dammit kiddo,” he threw my against his chest and hugged me tightly, “Don’t scare me like that. I can’t lose you too.”

            I didn’t say anything as I folded into his chest. I began to notice that chill of the rain and my body started to shiver violently. My arm, where I had gotten a shot almost a month ago now, throbbed painfully and I closed my eyes. I had just imagined it - the teenager, the flames. This, this moment was what was real.

A/N: Hi guys, thank you for reading! Please vote, share, comment :) if you see any errors, let me know. Critiques are welcome (as long as they aren’t rude).

This chapter is dedicated to Amethyst for making me such a gorgeous cover, thanks girl!

I used the song “Timeless” by Christopher Caouette which you should definitely listen to while reading this. I don’t have a picture for this chapter seeing as it is a little over 800 words but if you find a picture, or draw one inspired by this scene, please send me a message and I’ll add it.