Chapter 12: The Barrel of the Gun

My copper, should length hair was slightly damp and the extra water dripped onto my shoulders. I wore a fresh grey t-shirt and white shorts that hung off my hips, the bottoms reaching mid-thigh. Despite the fact that it had only been nine days since I had been here, I could tell that I had gained more weight than I have ever gained in six years. I didn’t mind the sharp bones were smoothing out. I had a healthy flush to my cheeks and for once I wasn’t lethargic.

            Timotheus entered my room, looking grim. I stood and walked over to him, putting my hands in front of me so he could cuff them. We walked out and through the hall. I noticed people lining the walls, watching us with steady eyes. As we passed, I noticed that their simmering flames flared up. It was strange, as though the energy reacted to Timotheus’s energy. I glanced sideways at him, noticing that the fire around him was crackling as well. Jon had told me that Timotheus had the power of empathy. I wondered if that was what was causing the spike in energy, because his empathy was constantly active. Flowing in the air, invisible yet painting a picture of emotions that only Timotheus could see.

            When we got outside, I saw the all too familiar van. Standing beside it was Heather and Jon and another guy who had white flames around him. Heather noticed my questioning look and said, “This is Michael. My boyfriend.”

            “Wait, we’re dating?” Michael looked as though this bit of information was news to him.

            “Hmm, she never ceases to surprise me,” Timotheus muttered.

            At the same time, Jon gave Heather an odd look, “I thought you weren’t interested in anyone. Your exact words were, ‘All these guys are all brawn and no brain.’”

            “You said that?” Michael shot Heather a sharp look.

            “Because I didn’t want anyone to find out,” Heather hid her face in her hands.

            “Then why would you so bluntly introduce him as your boyfriend to Jaye?” Jon pointed out, sounding bored.

            “You don’t have to sound so condescending,” Heather shot her brother a sour look.

            As they continued to argue, Timotheus pinched the bridge of his nose, “This is why I didn’t bring Jon when we went and got you. Jon and Heather can never spend more than five minutes together and not argue.”

            I grinned, “I think it is quite entertaining.”

            “You would, wouldn’t you?” Timotheus flashed me a smile before raising his voice, “Hey! Shut up, let’s go. You can have your little family drama later.”

            As we got into the van – with me climbing in the back – I could hear both Jon and Heather still arguing under their breath. Michael looked plainly uncomfortable. I succumbed in my thoughts as we drove, trying to figure out what I was going to do when I saw Dad…Austin again. He had poisoned me, perhaps killed Mom, and more than likely never loved me. How was I supposed to just walk to him today, and pretend that I was happy? What would happen if I were stuck once again in my father’s hands, unable to get away? Not even with Timotheus’s help. What if Dad – Austin – and Lisa started to poison me again? Would I be able to survive if it happened again?

            If only there was a book called Difficult Family Situations for Dummies.

            The van rolled to a stop. Heather gave me a sympathetic look before putting a black bag over my head. She helped me out, her hand on my lower back. Another pair of hands grabbed my right arm to steady me as I got out. From the smoothness of his hands and the smell of rubbing alcohol, I assumed it was Jon. Heather squeezed my hands briefly before slipping from my side. Timotheus gently grabbed me and guided me forward. His hands were gentle, though he kept shoving me. It was all for show, I assumed for my dad. I was yanked to an abrupt halt. The bag was ripped off my head suddenly, blinding me as sunlight burned my eyes. I blinked back tears struggling to clear the dots from my vision.