one

The train is moving fast, the vast fields and the occasional tree flashing by the window, a blurred sea of green.

Dan sighs and looks at his hands. He's alone in the compartment, a large kick in the guts for an eleven year old. He's all alone and assumes he will be for an entire schooling year, but it's better than his home already. Anywhere is better, really.

He hears a light snort and smiles down at the one year old cat snoring in his lap - maybe he isn't entirely alone. He has Max with him, his saviour from home. He runs his fingers over the soft, black fur of the cat and smiles to himself. That's when the door noisily slides open and Max's head darts up, alert. He scrambles behind Dan, peering over his shoulder at the intruder and nap-disturber, selfish cat.

"Hey uh, mind if I sit in here?" a young boy his own age asks, his smile bright and eyes shining.

"Y-yeah go ahead," Dan answers nervously - he's always been shy around other kids, not that he's been around them much.

He walks in, shutting the door again behind him and sits on the cushioned seat opposite Dan. They sit in an uncomfortable silence, listening to the sound of the train moving over the tracks as they both search for conversation. It makes Dan feel increasingly awful by the second.

"I'm Phil," he says with a grin, his ginger hair cut in a short fringe and pale skin almost glowing, "this is all so amazing!"

"You weren't from a magical family were you?" Dan asks.

"Uh... no I wasn't," Phil replies with red cheeks and an embarrassed look on his face as his gaze shifts to his shoes.

"That's okay, you're going to love this," Dan reassures him with a smile, before gesturing to the cat who is still unsure of the newcomer, "this is Max by the way."

On cue, the cat jumps to the floor and hesitantly creeps towards Phil, deciding he isn't a threat and then casually sniffing the bottom of his jeans. Max meows and rubs against Phil's leg with his head before brushing his body against it.

"I think he likes you," Dan says with a smile, watching as Phil leans forward and scratches the cat gently under the chin.

"Isn't Max meant to be a dog name?" Phil asks, causing Max to stop purring abruptly and jump back into Dan's lap.

"Ah he's offended," Dan says with a giggle as he looks down at the cat, who is now perched on his legs, tailing swinging and green eyes glaring at Phil.

"I'm sorry Max! I like your name," Phil gushed with a frown, "I'll get you some fish or something."

Suddenly, they're interrupted by a knock.

"Anything from the trolley dears?" the trolley witch asks, opening the door and smiling at them through strands of grey hair.

"What is all that?" Phil asks, staring at all the sweets with wide eyes full of wonder.

Dan's family is rich, so he may as well take advantage of that. After all, it's the only positive thing about his family, so he should be able to at least appreciate that.

Dan reaches into his pocket and pulls out a mix of galleons, sickles and knuts, the gleaming pile shining in his hands.

"We'll take two of everything thanks," he says with a smile.

"Thank you Dan!" Phil says with a wide grin, looking at all the sweets now piled in their compartment, "you're really nice. I think we could be good friends."

"Me too Phil," Dan replies, feeling his heart flutter with happiness - he has a friend, potentially.

"I love all this wizard and magic stuff so much," Phil grins reaching for the packet of Bertie Bott's Every Flavour Beans.

"Ah maybe not after you have those..." Dan mumbles, trailing off as Phil shrugs off his attempt at a warning.

Dan bites into his liquorice wand and grimaces as oblivious Phil reaches into the packet and pulls out a single mustard-coloured bean and pops it into his mouth before Dan can stop him - never trust the mustard-colour ones.

The bean ends up spat on the floor.

"What the hell was that?!" Phil asks, pulling a disgusted face at Dan.

"You know, it's probably just better not to ask."

And then they laugh.

***

hello, I have decided to do a little Dan and Phil / Harry Potter au, hope you enjoy :D

I probably won't update on a schedule or that regularly, I just love writing and reading these sort of books haha, hope it goes alright :)

I'm adding onto an old book/idea, but I hope you'll like the new story :D