five

"Out of my way honey," Brody, the sassiest second year and quidditch prodigy to ever walk the halls (although Harry Potter comes at a close second) says to Dan, shoving him aside.

Although he's less sassy and more just an egotistic prick. He views himself as a star and above everyone else, and likes to assume he's superior to everyone - meaning he's the most conceited second year, rather than sassiest. He's like Draco Malfoy and Harry Potter's evil combination.

Dan, who was just previously flipping through the pages of a new charms theory book he got from the library, trips forward and loses his page, letting out a small and pathetic noise as the book hits the floor. Dan picks it up, mumbling an apology to the book and hugs it to his chest - some magical books, especially the old ones, can be particularly sensitive and particular as to who can read them. Brody continues on, following his own merry route through the hallways, a few 'admirers' trailing behind him.

"Oi! How about you apologise for knocking me over," Dan growls loudly, glaring.

Brody pauses in his tracks before dramatically turning around, as if it's such an inconvenience to simply turn around. His little admirers behind him have the same look of distaste mirrored on their features as they all face Dan, who rolls his eyes at the cliché scene in front of him. Brody seems to be like the Gryffindor version of everyone's favourite daddy's boy, Draco Malfoy.

"And you are?" he asks impatiently, staring down at Dan, despite the fact he can look over him.

"I'm a person, who you just bumped into, by the way," Dan retorts, narrowing his eyes at him, standing up taller to match the other boy's stance whilst trying to ignore the fact that he is severely outnumbered - he'd overpower every single one of them easily, however he doesn't want more reason to be feared and hated.

"So what?" Brody asks with a roll of his eyes and an unimpressed expression.

This makes Dan angry. He doesn't understand why it's so hard for people to respect one another and to treat everyone as equals. He hates the apparent hierarchy system that exists within the school, and extending out to the world. He can't escape this anywhere, it haunts him like a dark cloud, leaving the light hard to see and almost merely an illusion to his suffering mind.

"So, decent human beings would apologise, but it seems you aren't one," Dan snaps angrily, unconsciously thinking of the spell eat slugs as he stares at Brody in a fit of rage.

There's a stunned silence, where Brody freezes and pales completely. He then proceeds to double over and let out a groan, clutching his stomach and facing towards the floor. Then, almost in slow motion, a rather large slug proceeds to project itself out of Brody's mouth - slime and all. There's a chorus of disgusted gasps and murmured words.

So Dan does the only logical thing he can think to do:

Run.

His shoes pound against the concrete, the sound echoing around the large halls. He turns a corner and presses his back against the wall, letting out a sigh when there's silence - no one came after him, Brody is probably still on the floor, too sick to chase after him anyway. He begins to continue towards the great hall, where he's due to meet Phil to help him with charms.

He shoves his new book back inside his bag and is soon sliding into the seat beside Phil at the Hufflepuff table. Phil looks at him, undoubtedly noting his red face, heaving lungs and glum expression.

"What'd you do now?" he asks with an expression mixed with worry and amusement.

"I may have told Brody to eat slugs in my mind," Dan says, feeling slightly guilty, "he was being a prick and it just kinda... happened?"