Chapter Five

Trigger warning: Blood

Hell seemed to be the environment Jay returned to. One side of their body was numb, the other on fire with pain. They were too weak to call out for help, although in their mind they knew it would be wasted breath to try. Drops of sweat intermediately clouded their sight as they counted each second that passed. Well, every second that they guessed had passed. There wasn't any way for them to tell except counting time themself. But counting would keep them awake, and every part of them warned against that. Still, it was something to do. After too many counts for Jay to keep track of, the door slid open and Ryuu strode in.

"You're awake?" He knelt in front of them, peering at their eyes. "I thought your injuries would keep you unconscious." Jay grunted, not able to do much else. "There's still fight in you, isn't there?" Ryuu scoffed. "Why? There's no one coming to save you, you're alone. Even the people charged with caring for you are on the wrong trail, so give in." With a laughable attempt at movement, Jay tried to push up onto their knees only to double over once they did. Pain blossomed through their side again and sent their vision spinning, a stifled cry falling from their lips. Before they fell back over, Ryuu caught them and cradled them in his arms.

"Ah, lets get you healed up. It shouldn't take too long, magic has returned to my veins thanks to you." Not giving much regard for gentleness, he hoisted them up and took them out of the room towards another wing of the building. Although jay couldn't see much, the sharp smell of rubbing alcohol told them that it was some kind of hospital or infirmary. It was a familiar enough smell that their body relaxed, sensing some comfort in the midst of hell. However, the actual walls were dark and almost decrepit, with peeling drywall and faded paint. Before they could protest, Ryuu had them set down and strapped to a bed. Jay panicked, struggling to no avail.

"Shh, shh... Don't give me a reason to hurt you again." He roughly held them down, putting pressure on their hurt ribs. "I want to help you, so stop it." With a sharp inhale, they stopped.

"Why? For your own gain?" They croaked; he simply tensed his fingers to dig into their flesh in response. Jay cried out this time, shying away as much as they could.

"Any other insolent questions?" Ryuu growled, leaning over them. They shook their head, and the fingers stopped digging into flesh. "Good; now..." His gaze tightened and a cold glow emanated from his hands as he kept them out over jay's body. The sensations were almost like shards of pain spiking into each injury, wrapping from the inside out as the magic dulled everything. Breathing became easier, movements no longer made them want to throw up, but unease settled into their mind.

"Let me sit up." Despite being in no place to bargain, Jay was willing to. Even if magic was involved they didn't have much strength In their body still to survive for long.

"And why should I?" He leaned over the side of the bed with his lips set in a bemused line. "Its so much more fun letting you stay still. Besides, I wouldn't want you to injure yourself again." There he went, taunting again. With a hearty laugh and a shake of the head, he left them only to come back with some sort of book in hand. "I also do not want you moving during what I'm about to try, it can tamper with the ritual. We don't want unsavory results, hmm?"

"What is it, what is that?" Panic set in once more and jay struggled again, stopping only when their vision blurred.

"It's a ritual I've been working on; if it works, it'll put your mind under my control, making this all easier for the both of us. Now hush, shh..." He stroked their hair like he was some kind of mother soothing a child. "Relax." His pointer finger stayed on their forehead, and he hummed a low rhythm. Jay felt all the pain return and something digging its way in towards their brain. It sent their head reeling against the bed and a scream pierced their ears. Even once their lips were closed, the scream echoed as if it was from some other being. The light around them dimmed and flickered until Ryuu's humming broke through the scream, sending everything into darkness. Then, a dark red aura engulfed him, barely giving Jay the vision to see someone enter. A shot rang out and everything snapped back into place like the ritual was never started. Ryuu snarled, spinning around with a hand around Jay's neck.