Chapter Six

The alarm rang through my dreams, sending the fogginess of sleep out of my brain. I slammed the clock and rubbed my face, hoping yesterday had been a dream. One of my legs was dangling out of the blanket that twisted around my body. Sitting up, I sighed in disappointment as I stared at the two empty beds beside mine. I hung my head down and felt the sting of tears behind my eyelids as I tried to breathe in slowly. I had prayed so hard that it had all just been a torturous nightmare.

Readying myself, I prepped to venture out while the day awoke. Making sure I had all my weapons and some food and water to last me the day, I unlatched the heavy steel door and ventured out into the world, locking it behind me. Kerosene and a lighter in hand, I walked over to where the girl's corpse lay, still undisturbed.

Not like there was anyone around here to disturb a vampire's body.

I pulled her thin body over to the end of the cement driveway and placed her head on her chest before piling up dried brush and twigs around her. It was going to burn intensely; any flesh would burn hot and strong. The sun was still beneath the tree line, shadows shortening as it ascended. I wondered briefly if the sun would even burn this particular vampire. I wasn't going to chance her not burning. Once I was done, I lit a bunch of kindling and dropped it in the pile after dousing it with the lighter fluid.

The flames ignited quickly, licking her body with hungry fingers and burning her clothes up immediately. I watched, hoping that the smoke would not draw too much attention. Once she burned up, I would have to clean up the ashes and sweep the driveway. I sat impatiently as her thin frame was consumed, trying to keep my feelings about her at bay. At least it didn't take long. The fire burned intensely enough to pulverize her body. Fire did well disintegrating vampire bodies, they were so combustible. I sat and pondered why it had not gone up in flames at sunrise. This was indeed new to me.

I grew impatient and stood up, pacing the walk as I waited. When the fire had died down I grabbed buckets of water from a nearby water pump and doused the embers as they continued to crackle and snap. Nothing was left of the strange vampire now. Nothing but dust and ashes to even signify she existed. A sudden shame overwhelmed me. I had killed her before she could even tell me who she was. Feral vampires didn't speak. What, then, did that make her? Some sort of hybrid?

Shaking my head, I tried not to think about it so much, sweeping the mess of ashes and water off the driveway as quickly as I could. I had to get down into the city and search for my family again. I hated being alone, hated that my family could very well be dead now. No, I wouldn't accept it–I knew they were still alive, I felt it inside my heart and soul. Like a fire that still blazed within, it wasn't doused yet, like I knew it would be if our connection broke. That alone kept me focused this gloomy morning as I shoved the broom away into the garage and jumped into the van, turning the engine over and pulling out into the road towards Las Vegas.

The asphalt rolled under the car as I impatiently drove, agitated that I wasn't already there. I wanted to run through the streets, waking the dead. I had no plan, no investigative plot to find my family. But it was no holds barred. If I had to shake up all the hives of feral vampires to find Mom and Jeremy, I would. I would kill every last one of them if I had to.

My right hand drifted down to feel the hilt of my blades where they were leaning on the passenger side seat. I had brought my short katana sword and one machete. My crossbow, along with a quiver of arrows, would be strapped to my back if I needed it. It was compact and lightweight. I was prepped for war and I intended to win. Rolling my shoulders, I cracked my neck and felt my shoulders pop as I fidgeted in the seat, watching the landscape pass by as I pulled closer to the city. The debris in the road made me furious; I had to slow down to dodge the scattered mess. I wanted to be running. I was itching to kill the wretched creatures that had taken the only two souls that mattered to me.