Chapter Twenty-two

"Why'd we come here?" I whispered as we stood in the middle of the airport terminal. Rye's arms encircled me as we both stared out the tall glass windows. The night was approaching fast, our last night before the ambush on the enemy hive. The last night without my family. If it went the way I hoped, I would be embracing my mother and Jeremy in just a matter of hours. If only it would go that way. If only...

"I had to show you the beauty of it all again. We secured this airport soon after the outbreak. People fled the airport almost immediately when flights were suspended, so it wasn't too hard to do that. Only private planes and pilots had access, and those who could, left in the small planes. Otherwise, air travel came to a halt." Rye rolled his neck, stretching it as he spoke. "No one took to the skies; it was too big a risk to have a vampire outbreak in the air. Can you imagine what that would've been like? I'm sure most of the cabin would have been bitten before subduing a vampire. It would have been a graveyard up there." Rye sighed as he rubbed his chin on the top of my head. He was taller than me, but just by a head. His body felt warm and sturdy as I let him hold onto me. It felt like a slice of pure heaven, at least for a moment.

"Do you think we'll succeed?" I turned to face him, searching his eyes for truth. They gave me a flicker of hope.

"I think we're going to go for it, I wouldn't underestimate this hive, April. We are very strong and determined. We've been meaning to take them down; this city is a bit too small to support two large vampire hives and they have been destroying our food supplies."

"Wait, food supplies? What do you mean?" My eyebrows raised in confusion. Something told me that I didn't know the workings of this hive at all, that what I had seen was just the tip off the iceberg. I was starting to feel very small in a vast plan.

"Well, to the south we have a herd of cattle, sheep and pigs we raise to help feed our population. We keep them in guarded warehouses lining Lake Mead Parkway, near one of the hospitals off Eastern Avenue. Sometimes they raid one of the outlying facilities and get away with some animals. We've managed to stop them before they get too much but it puts a dent in our supplies and the attacks are increasing." His jaw tensed as he thought about the conniving opposition they had been facing lately. "It's just fate that rescuing your family has finally given us the incentive to counterattack." He smiled as he pushed a strand of my hair back, wrapping it around his fingers as he slid his hand down. I felt the tingle in the pit of my stomach, blushing as I turned back to face the window.

We sat on one of the rows of chairs that had once seated passengers waiting to board the planes. He had retrieved a couple of water bottles and snacks still packaged from a locked up safe that had been placed in the room. It seemed that we weren't the only ones that visited this area. It was like an observatory, quiet and surrounded by windows, where one could view the beautiful Las Vegas Strip without obstruction. It had been amazing to peek out those windows at night, when the lights shone bright, flashing their endless advertisements and previews of shows. It wasn't the same anymore though; the dead darkness of night brought no more twinkling billboards or crowds. Now nothing but silence and blood reigned once the sun went down.

I reflected on his words for a moment. "Yeah, you could be right. It is fate that brings us together now, of all the times it could've before." I wondered if I really believed my words the moment they left my lips, the doubt bubbling up within me again, making me close my eyes. I wanted to believe that we would win this battle. I had to believe it. There was no other choice.

I thought back to the first days after my family had been taken; the determination that had driven me back then had been like fuel on a fire. I was afraid the fire was dying inside me and that was something I didn't want to happen. As I opened my eyes, I felt the fire stirring again–I was ready to take anything on. I had not let it die completely; I had just let the thought of it slip out of my mind for a short while. My lips upturned as I felt the heat of my drive returning. My fingers itched to swing a weapon around and cut down some vampires, even if some of them would be the insanely fast and powerful hybrids. I was always game for a fight–holding a weapon felt more natural than holding a conversation. I would see my family again. Even if I died doing so, it would be more than worth it.