6. A Touch Too Far

Ice water ran through her veins, pulsing through her body faster with every shade darker the sky became. Sunset had come, and Stephanie had headed to the forest bordering the town as soon as she could after school. Her impatience was palpable in the air and her skin felt like it was too tight on her frame. Energy crackled like electricity around her.

Deep-seated primal hunger rose up in her chest, threatening to break out of her entirely. It was the need to run, to be free and completely uninhibited. It was a sensation that came as second nature to Stephanie. Every werewolf knew it, no matter how strong or weak they were.

Violet, dark blue, navy, midnight blue… silver.

The world was bathed in bone-white silver light, casting an unearthly glow over the forest. For a moment, there was total silence. White noise painted the air as the light coated her surroundings.

Then, everything snapped into outstanding clarity.

The thick scent of damp leaves, rain and earthy soil rose out of the forest, enveloping Stephanie in familiarity and warmth. Crickets chirped, filling the night with their song. A cool breeze filtered through the canopy, rustling leaves gently as it went. Tiny vibrations travelled up from the ground into her body, the movements of wildlife in the woods.

A shiver raised the flesh on her skin as her body took in what it knew best, what it craved… and it reacted.

Stephanie’s nerves lit on fire; everything exploded into a throbbing mass of hurt. Acutely, she was aware of her bones twisting, joints parting from bones, muscles tearing and resizing to fit over her ever-changing skeleton.

Her vision blurred, and tiny invisible pins prickled in her skin. Nails lengthened into claws, and fingers and hands crushed themselves into paws so heavy, that she was pulled to the forest floor.

In less than a couple of seconds, it was over.

A new set of lungs, harbored by a larger ribcage, heaved with exertion.

It was a longer process than it should be, Stephanie knew, because she was a weak shifter, but what came after was worth it.

Pine needles pressed the heady scent of fresh winter into her muzzle. Carefully, she opened her eyes, taking in the increased sharpness of her vision. The temperate was measurably warmer through her thick, wiry coat. Her joints still throbbed, but she struggled to her paws, experiencing a rush of energy from the heightened sensations she felt through her new skin.

Instantly, Stephanie switched gears. Her nose dropped to the ground, scenting for the presence of people or any other threats. Nothing obvious warned her away from the area. Reassured, her paws pressed onwards, pushing her forward at a steady trot as she weaved through the forest.

Streams of light from the moon poured through gaps in the canopy, but Stephanie didn’t stop to bathe in the glorious light. The ground sloped up, challenging her weary muscles. Tree density thinned and grass took the place of pine needles that had before littered the ground. Light shone more freely, flowing across the ground like a river. The hill peaked, bare of tree cover, and it offered an uninterrupted view of the moon.

Gently, she forced back the urge to howl. It felt so wrong to hold back something so natural, but there could still be danger here, and a howl would signal her presence and might unnerve the residents of the town.

These facts all made sense, but they didn’t stifle the disappointment Stephanie felt for it. So, in silence she sat, content to rest until the pain faded away in the cooling rays of silver light.

That was until the hairs on the scruff of her neck stood on end, and her instinct forced her to her paws to face her potential adversary.

A lanky, sandy colored wolf emerged from the fringes of the forest, her blue eyes flashing with defiance and defiance and curiosity. Her tail rose, poised in obvious dominance combined with her unwavering gaze.