Chapter Three: The Meeting

CHAPTER THREE

THE MEETING

Arthur looks at his father in shock, as he well should.

Like, dang, if you don't want me here, no need to say it like that.

"Father, she needed medical assistance! I couldn't just leave her there! Just let her stay, for god's sake. You know mother would do it."

Uther stares at me distastefully, and then resumes eating. What a jerk.

Dinner passes awkwardly and as it comes to a close, I take my plate and stand up. I spot Merlin and gingerly walk to him, asking where the kitchen is. He looks at me again. "Um. Sorry, what?"

"Where is the kitchen?" I say, enunciating clearly.

"Erm, I'll show you," he says with that odd look on his face.

I follow him to the kitchen and go to the bucket straightaway. I scrub the plate with a cloth and hot water, dry it and then lay it on the stack of plates. I look up to see Merlin staring at me.

"Have I got something on my face, Merlin?"

"What?! No, no, it's just none of the guests ever do their own dishes... Or anything actually."

I look at him. "Yes, well, unless I am injured, you can be sure I will do what I can to help."

Merlin just nods and a smile tugs at the corners of his mouth. He seems to be debating with himself about something because he keeps lifting his head and opening his mouth as I stand patiently.

"Erm, Miss... m'lady, will, um, hey wait a minute." He composes himself. Takes a breath. "I know you need to rest and all, but do you think... you could possibly....--"

"If you'd like to talk/ vent about Arthur sometime, yes. If you'd like me to distract Arthur so you can sneak off, yes. If you'd like me to help you with chores, yes." I cut him off. "Did that cover everything?"

"Uh, yes," he says. "Are you always this outspoken?"

"Yes. So what I can do for you?"

He's about to speak when a sharp shout from Arthur cuts him off. "Merlin! I need you!"

He sighs loudly and apologizes, then walks towards Arthur, then starts running when Arthur yells again.

*******

It's been almost a day since I've seen Merlin. Arthur really does keep him super occupied. How could he possibly have chores for Merlin to do for that long??

I change into a chore worthy dress. Just a simple thing, beige and cotton, and paired with my Converse, I am so ready to walk and not be in pain! I can't even recount how many times I'd fallen last night. It was awful.

Exiting my room, and softly closing the door, I swiftly round the corner, bumping into none other than--

"Merlin!! I was just about to go looking for you!!"

As he says at the same time, "I am so sorry! I did not mean to hit you!"

"It was as much my fault as it was yours," I respond laughing. "And you didn't hit me, you bumped into me. There's a difference. Can I help you with anything? I'm kind of dying of boredom right now."

He looks at my dress. "You know, you're not helping your "peasant" thing go away with that dress." Then he gives me that same odd look from last night, and says, "You're strange, you know that? Most guests that come here make me do all the work, as they should I suppose, but none of them ever ask if they can help." He laughs. "I like you. So yes, you can help me. I have to go shine Arthur's boots. Again."