Chapter 11

I searched for Jonah after school until one of his friends told me that he has left in the morning. Literally, walked straight out of school. So, I went home. The door was slightly ajar. Did one of my parents forget to close it on their way to work? I slipped my bag off my shoulders and held the straps in my hands, preparing to swing it like a club. I didn't really suspect anyone would be breaking into other people's houses in a town as small as this--not when everyone generally knows everyone. "Is there anyone in here?"

It was completely silent and still with not a hair out of place. I still couldn't shake the feeling that someone had been in here. I walked up to my room and found all the doors, including mine, shut. I never shut my door in the morning. I kept finding little things like these, that in another situation I wouldn't even pay attention too. I entered my room and set my bag down. There's was no one here, only me being paranoid. It was better safe than sorry.

I went down to the kitchen to find something to eat. Rummaging through the pantry, I grabbed an apple out of the fruit bowl and headed back to my room. My room seemed a little neater than usual...I stopped. Someone was here. My comforter was never folded in the morning and the top of my drawers never arranged that way. I crossed the room and opened my jewelry box. Had they taken any of my earrings? I shook the box, seeing if anything was gone. Nothing. Okay, I was really being paranoid now. I needed to relax, start my homework, get my mind off it all. My phone buzzed--text message from Yasmine.

Yazzy: Party tomorrow night at Luke's house. His hot friend is going to be there. She finished the text with the eye emojis. I rolled my own eyes and shot a text back.

Me: I'm working on my project tomorrow since I can't work on it today. We're not even halfway done with research.

Yazzy: Too bad your partner is going to the party too. You'll be working all alone.

Me: Oh this is a mixed party?

Yazzy: I dunno how many of them are going to be here, but Luka said Jonah's and a couple of his friends are going. Not sure how much is a couple.

Me: I don't know....

Yazzy: Have some fun. All work and no play will make you dull.

Me: Pick me up okay.

The next night, I was standing in front of my closet, wrapped in my towel. I could look comfortable in a tucked in t-shirt and sneakers, or cute, in an off the shoulder blouse and skirt. My eyes drifted to the wine red halter top--or even a little bit extra. I mean, it was a party. I grabbed a black from off the hanger, paired it with black doc martens and dark wash ripped jeans. I put on fishnet tights underneath, put on my pants and looked at myself in the mirror. Not something I would wear very often, but I liked it. I felt like the heroine in one of those action movies where they stay flawless even though they've been hit by a car or something.

A loud, long honk came from outside the window. I checked outside. Liz and Yasmine waited in Liz's car. I stuffed my phone into my pocket and ran down the stairs, past my parents. "Be home before twelve!" My dad said.

"Yeah, love you." Smiling, I sat in the backseat. Liz turned around and looked me over. Her eyes were surrounded by winged eyeliner and glittery makeup.

"Ooo, you look cute."

"Thanks. I was feeling a little bit daring tonight."

"Good, because we're here to have fun. Don't poke back into your shell."

We pulled up at the house. Music was blasting, audible from outside. People filed in and out of the front and back doors and cars already filled the driveway and went down the street. Liz sucked her front teeth. "Yazzy, Imani, you guys go in. I need to find parking." We exited the car and Liz drove off to find an empty space. Stepping inside the house was like stepping into a furnace. I slipped off my jacket and left it on the coat rack, taking my phone out first. Couple danced together, and other danced alone in the middle of the living room floor. Yasmine had already engrossed herself in a conversation with a boy with cute dimples. She talked animatedly, moving her hands and laughing. I was happy for her, but I was a little lost on my own. "Ya lost?" The voice came from behind me. I spun around, startled. The speaker, Luke, laughed.