Chapter 31

I woke up after we left Evansville. "She's awake," my mother whispered. We were in a hotel room from what I could tell. "How do you feel?"

"Tired. Where are we?" I sat up and pulled the blankets down.

"Kansas. It's been a day."

"And none of the news outlets want to question us? The army that saved me doesn't have any questions?" I grabbed the remote from the bedside table and turned on the T.V on. "Does Evansville still exist."

On the news there was no word of our escape. It might be because of the quick newscycle, but it still alarmed me. How fast could everyone forget about what happened a day previous? Had something else happened?

"Where's the coverage about Evansville? I thought it caused a national stir."

My mother bit her lip. "It did, but I felt something. Someone must've cast a powerful spell to affect nearby to effect humans. A mindwipe of sorts. I heard about it when I was a young girl."

I frowned. "How can it affect the whole nation?"

"My fear, there are werewolves all over the nation," my father said. "There are thousands of packs worldwide, hundreds in the U.S alone. I know the council is working on this and getting the packs to work together." I've never seen my father look so scared before. "This is not good."

"They can do this? Not everyone could have forgotten."

His face had gone ashen. "Not yet, but people will forget your face. They'll forget your name, the name of the town and they'll keep forgetting until the ripple we made in the water is completely gone."

"But the internet! Everything stays on there forever! Don't tell me they have a potion to remove the records."

"There's a reason the werewolf population in America has stayed hidden for so well and any story of them is just folklore and teenage fanfiction. They're not beyond using modern means. I'm not sure if that means hackers or infiltrating government agencies. All I know is that they've stayed secret."

"So they could've been there at any event in history, at any time?"

"Yes," my dad said, sitting on the edge of the bed. Tiredness gripped at his features. 

I put my head in my hands. Everything was a complete mess. "Tell me your story."

"Imani I think it's best-"

I interrupted my mom and gave her a sharp glare. Secrets are what got us here, secrets are what put us in this mess in the first place. "Tell me your story. Tell me why you left your packs and make it quick because I've got to get out of this place soon. We're still too close to Evansville for comfort."

"Please-"

"Start talking or I start walking. And by walking I mean without you. Don't play me with this shit." I breathed in deeply with rage. I was going to play games anymore, not even with my parents.

"Your mother and I didn't meet through the registry or international databank, though we both registered. Our packs were simply close to each other and we met as children. We were happy. We mated, we set up our home. I was a pack soldier and she worked as a healer under her local witch. And then she got pregnant."

My mother continued the story. "We wanted to wait until we were older to have children. Many people mate young, but most wait until they're in their 20s or 30s to have children. I was seventeen and your father was eighteen. When I was pregnant we went to an oracle. It's a tradition for werewolves to go to oracles blessed by the moon goddess for predictions about their baby's life. You asked questions, she answered them and she was always right. Always. We asked some silly questions but didn't answer any of them. Her eyes glowed like she was possessed and she started to say these awful things..."