6 // Treacle Tart & Unpleasant Fellows

When the lunch hour arrived, Fi set out from her quarters for the dining hall, following the directions of several helpful portraits all curious to meet the newest Professor and to take her measure. Secretly Fi thought their directions were off, as they took her down several flights of stairs and along two winding corridors before spilling her into a cobbled courtyard. Miffed, she found her way into the castle once more and was confronted with a tower full of roving staircases that delighted in utterly confusing Fi's path. She had to wonder if the magics of the school recognized her from past attempts to infiltrate the grounds and considered her an intruder.

"Oh bloody hell," Fi cursed when the stairs she stood upon detached from a landing and began to ascend. She clutched the railing and stomped a foot. "No, you ruddy steps! Down! Down!"

The stairs ignored her and continued to do as they pleased. Several of the portraits laughed uproariously at her plight, though one stern witch with a glass eye growled and snapped the rolled parchment in her hands.

"Someone tell Albus his new Magical Theory Professor is trapped on the stairs!"

"I'm not trapped—," Fi tried to argue, but when the steps decided to rotate again, pulling her away, Fi thought she very well may be stuck. "...bugger."

Fi sat on a step to wait until the stairs had had their fun. It seemed that one of the portraits had indeed gone for the Headmaster as he appeared soon enough, bemused by the hedge witch's plight and her darkening frown. "Professor Dullahan. It appears you are in need of some assistance."

Grumbling, Fi rose and brushed dust from her backside. "These stairs don't seem to care for me much."

"It takes practice to navigate them. Am I correct in assuming you were on your way to the Great Hall for lunch?"

"I was."

He held out his arm, purple sleeve rippling. "Then allow me."

Uncertain, Fi nonetheless stepped closer and looped her arm through his. "Thanks, Headmaster."

Dumbledore urged them into a quick pace, which was unexpected from a man of his years, and Fi nearly succeeded in tripping on the hem of her robes. The steps didn't impede the Headmaster as they'd impeded Fi, and soon they came to the ground floor, descending the final—and stationary—flight of stairs to a brilliant foyer filled with sunlight. The doors to the Great Hall were open and Fi's gaze rose to the ceiling on instinct as she stared at the moving sky above.

"That's beautiful."

"It is, isn't it?"

"Enchanted?"

"Yes, though the exact spell has been lost somewhere in the school's history." Dumbledore sighed, a sad sound of regret for something so beautiful to have slipped through their fingers. "Alas, we must simply enjoy what we have here."

The Great Hall was a large space, the top of the hall dominated by towering windows and an empty dais where Fi guessed the Headmaster and staff would sit during the term. One table currently resided in the middle of the floor beneath a bevy of floating candles, laden with an afternoon meal and circled by a scant few faculty members. McGonagall lifted her gaze from the book laid open by her plate when Dumbledore and Fi approached.

"Albus. Did you get lost, Delphinia?"

"Not exactly." Fi released Dumbledore's arm and took a vacant seat by McGonagall while the wizard went to claim his spot at the table's head. "I ran into a spot of trouble on the stairs."

McGonagall's lips quirked in what Fi gathered was a rare show of amusement. "I imagine you'll have difficulty navigating the castle at first, not unlike our first years. I assure you it gets easier with time."