24 // Unicorns & Mars

Fi stabbed the last bite of treacle tart on her plate and hummed low in appreciation as she stuffed the piece in her mouth and savored the sweet, tangy morsel.

"You eat like a barbarian." Snape's chair screeched on the stones as he pushed it back from the head table. Fi gave her wholehearted assent through a full mouth and the Potions Master rolled his eyes, departing from the Great Hall. Minerva chuckled, then smothered the sound in her hand as she cleared her throat.

Few students lingered in the Hall, the last dregs of dinner sopped up from plates or sipped from bowls, forks laid down and napkins tossed aside. Most had gone outside to enjoy the warming weather, spring in full flourish as the last stubborn drifts of winter's snow melted away and summer waited patiently in the distance. Behind the head table, illuminated in the light of a thousand floating candles, most of the House hourglasses were nearly full of their respective gemstones. Gryffindor's, however, was almost empty.

"Really, Minerva," Fi said as she swallowed. "A hundred and fifty points—and from your own house—is a bit excessive, isn't it?"

The Transfiguration professor adjusted her square spectacles and gave Fi a very stern look, though Fi did see a flicker of concern in the woman's eyes when she spotted Potter, Granger, and Longbottom all slumped at the Gryffindor table like deflated slugs. "The Astronomy Tower is out of bounds, Professor Dullahan, as you well know. It can be dangerous if one does not have their wits about them, and we've lost a few students there over the years. I would rather they be a bit embarrassed and remember to stay in their beds than go carousing about the tower at night and possibly lose their lives."

Fi made a sound, neither acceptance nor negation, and took a swallow of pumpkin juice.

"Actually, Fi, I understand you often cover a few of Severus' detentions when he finds he has assigned too many." Minerva turned in her chair to better address Fi, and the hedge witch nodded. "Hagrid could use your assistance tonight in the Forest. My Gryffindors and the Malfoy lad have detention there tonight."

Fi's brow rose. "The Forbidden Forest? Isn't that dangerous?"

McGonagall nodded. "Yes. Which is why I'm asking you to go as well. Nobody knows the Forest better than Hagrid, but I think it best if someone magically capable were included to ensure the safety of the students."

Sighing, Fi prodded at the remaining flakes of pastry still dotting her plate and nodded. Really, there had been no other choice. "What are they meant to be doing out there?"

"I think it best if Hagrid explained."

So Fi returned to her office, gathered her cloak and her Augurey, and set out for Hagrid's hut on the edge of the grounds not long before curfew arrived. She had visited several times in the past year to drink tea, eat terrible cakes, and discuss the fauna of the Forest while Fang the boarhound drooled on her knee. She found Hagrid and his dog tromping about the garden patch outside his hut, inspecting the new rutabaga sprouts by the oily light of his lantern.

"Who' there?" the half-giant demanded as Fi came nearer, and he swung the lantern about in such a way that Fi had to shield her eyes to preserve what little night vision she had. "Oh, hullo Fi. Heard from Professor McGonagall that you'd be joinin' us tonight. Wasn't expectin' you quite yet."

"Evening, Hagrid." Fi sidestepped the puddle of light and stood in the dark, fixing her gaze on the man's shadowed face. "Minerva didn't tell me much about what we're going to be up to tonight."

"Ah, terrible business, tha'." Hagrid lowered the lantern, Fi noting the presence of a crossbow slung across his shoulder. "Somethin' been out in the Forest killin' unicorns fer about two weeks now. Seems a new one's been injured, and it's ou' there bleedin'."