PROLOGUE

The night air was humid and moist. And with no moon visible in the sky tonight that could only mean one thing. A storm was brewing. I looked out over the balcony and could hear the faint party noise just a few blocks over in the French Quarter. Mardi gras as the humans called it was in full swing. A perfect opportunity for what we were about to do tonight. I just hope that it worked and that everything turned out okay. Just then, a clash of thunder loomed overhead as the first few sprinkles of rain pitter-patter against the windows.

I glanced over my shoulder into the room behind me where a small group of witches were in the middle of preparing a body for the upcoming ritual. Draped in a white cloth from head to toe. A series of flower petals, some lavender and a hint of burning sage were sprinkled over the corpse. If only they knew what it took to get his body back. Not to mention the relentless struggle of trying to find it in the first place. But in the end, there was no other place on earth that they could try and conceal his presence from me.

Back inside, the preparation was complete. The witches left the room without saying a word as I took their place. I needed a moment after all. A moment to myself. A silent prayer that if all went well tonight. He might actually be in my arms again. I approached the table with a heavy foot and a nonexistent breath. Though the table seemed to be farther away then I imagined, I still managed to lower the cloth from his face and place it underneath his chin before staring into his lifeless face.

A face that was eternally beautiful with a body that showed no signs of decay or visible ribbage. He looked very peaceful and natural as he did twenty years ago before the blast took him away from me. As for the severe burns and heavy scarring he received afterwards, the witches must've healed him of it. I'll have to thank them once all is said and done. Then I placed a gentle kiss on his lips and for a moment I wished that they would react. Soon though, I thought to myself, very soon.

But as I placed the cloth back over his face, a silent figure stood in the doorway. The leader of this fabulous coven approached the table with a hopeful expression and a little spark in her eye. I probed her thoughts, but she covered them up quickly and gave a reassuring smile instead. Her defenses were up as were my guard. I expected there to be trouble here tonight for I could feel it in the air.

"Are you ready to go ahead with the ritual?" The coven leader asked.

"Twenty years. That's how long I've been waiting for this moment. What do you think?"